DOES MIXING MEAN BEAT OVERLAPPING

In Dublin-Ireland (where I live) the most popular form of dance music is House/Techno. Therefore most of the Dj's sets are based on over lapping the beats / beat matching. For psy-trance though sometimes I find the tracks too full of sound to beat match and make it sound good.

I do regard it essential to time each track exactly the same BPM, however sometimes bringing in the beat of the second track after the beat of the playing track drops out, sounds better.

I have played alongside Cosmosis and he did not beat match yet his set sounded great. I have also played warmup for James Monro and he did beat match and that sounded great also.

I suppose it depends on whatever sounds good at the end of the day and different styles of psy lend themselves to different techniques.

My question basically is if the tracks are timed correctly but do not overlap beats (cosmosis style) is it correct to call that mixing?

Thanx

Guest parhelion

I'd say that if there's no space inbetween songs then they're "mixed"...

mixing songs doesn't nescessarily mean mixing kick drums, I doubt.

Beat matching doesn't nessecarily mean you have to mix the kick drums. Lining up different sounds from one record to the next. You can Beat Match even the most layered track, that's why your mixer has bloody EQ's on it. Personally i find it appalling when DJ's don't even make an effort beatmatch their sets, why bother? You can sit at home invite all your friends over and listen to CD's on your stereo at full volume, It's more entertaining than a craptacular DJ set.

Guest parhelion

I have Are you Shpongled? on vinyl...and I can crossfade one song into the next if I choose to...and I would consider that "mixing"...pointless and uncreative, but "mixing" nontheless..

I would prefer a DJ doing a good job of picking tracks and mixing them very lightly without overlapping to much, than a DJ who mixes heavily but poorly. To me, nothing sounds worse than a jerky transition or a harsh blatantly obvious one. Having said that, I have heard some DJ's who seem to do a wonderful job of seamlessly layering tracks without interupting the beat. That can be very nice too.

Guest Full Lotus

If it sounds good and the crowd is enjoying it, then you must be doing something right...beatmixing or non-beatmixing..the choice is yours!!!

Guest clive frog

From the sounds of things Cosmosis and Monro were key mixing, which is probably why it sounded great even with no beat mixing. I think this is sort of mix is great if done correctly, both track in the same or compatable key, or make a transition from one key to another (can give a great lift or drop) . Combined with beat mixing it can make for a wonderful set. To date I've only heard a handful of dj's who mix harmonicly and the difference is staggering.

Food for thought.

Guest bugbread

Full Lotus: amen!

And, on a personal note, DJs who beatmix bore me (the repetetive beat grates on me after the third song). Part of the great thing about psy songs for me is that they have pounding sections and floating sections, and if a DJ wipes out all the ambient bits to make a continuous beat, I feel they're sacrificing a lot.

But that's just me.

mixing is imo much more than beat matching. it's the choice of the tracks the story they tell, the way how to use the mixer, bring in effects, loops etc. this is real djing and takes month or years of practise. just beat matching today is quite easy (certainly not with vinyl) and can be learned in some weeks.

chris

it depends on the psy style you wanna mix for example tracks about 139 bpm sound better if you beatmatch them but faster tracks sometimes sounds better without beatmatching , everything is valid when you mix if it sounds good thats the rule