BAN DIGIPACKS!

Guest kingdok

Yaaaaaaay, my copy of Sound Sorcery's "Time And Space Pt. 1" came in the mail today! Thank you, Trancetrax.com!

...but it's in a digipack which got bent on one corner and has a crack in the plastic bit inside. That always ticks me off. With regular jewel cases you can simply swap out the damaged part for a new one. Not so with digipacks, which is a shame, because I genuinely like the way they look. The cardboard casing just isn't overly durable or protective.

Call me anal rentive (and I'm sure some of you will), but I'm going to start recommending that the vendors I go through ship CDs with "digi-packaging" in sturdier material. Even if the CD's intact it still sucks getting damaged merchandize, y'know?

Who else shares my distaste for this form of packaging? Like I said, it's not the apperance that bothers me, but the lack of functionality. The "ban digipacks" outcry is a bit strong, but if I had my way all CDs would come in jewel cases...period.

P.S. -- People who store their CD collections in plastic sleeve binders need not reply to this utterly frivolous post.

I can see yr point. But, I do prefer digipacks. As u said they look better, the problem is that digipack parts are not interchangeable and once there is a fault (scratch, crack) on the digipack that is it.

Maybe the solution is a better shipping and handling tactic - not the removal of the digipack all together!?

Guest Zaraknon

There should be kind of larger jewel cases in which you can put the digipacks for safer transport. Shame that nobody thoght about this yet.....maybe it's too expensive, but it would be great for travelling too........just a thought :)

PLUR

hmmm, what do you guys think about the packaging in which cosma's "simplicity" or "send in.... send back" come along? you know, a normal jewel case but with a paper sleeve around it. this is an eyecandy as well as a good case.

its nice with a paper sleeve around but the cds then don't fit in my cd tower anymore...

Guest Setsuko

...well , actually the paper sleeve around the normal case is not very dexterous when you want to listen to the cd . I mean the chances that the paper sleeve gets spoiled are higher like with a Digipack ...

...and a digipak is easier and faster to grab the cd.

that's true setsuko, but my point was, that if the sleeve gets spoiled the cd itself can still be played. and if you don't find those sleeves handy, you can just remove them.

to tatsu: get a cd shelf. ikea has some nice ones. got mine there, too. it's better anyway. no problems when you want to put a big fat triple cd pack in it.....

the problem with cd shelfs is that it should look a little special. my cd tower is silver and looks quite futuristic and my other cd box is about one meter tall with an alien standig behind it. i don't want just an ordinary looking thing... but yes, you are right, a shelf would be much more handy!!