fruity question

> "i want sonar cuz i use a pc so logic is out ....."

??????

i use Logic 5.3,........ and that baby is gonna do me for a good few years yet........

killer piece of software :-)

what about Orion?

havent used it myself, but have heard good things about it......

You can run hardware synths from Fruity (it's more Reasonable than Reason) but I don't like the way it works with midi hardware. The midi sync hardly ever works (I gave up trying and used Cubase sx instead). The way Fruity works with midi hardware is extremely basic and irritating. It seems like a pain just to set up simple recording/playback of notes/controller from my synth. I'd only use Fruity for getting simple ideas or for the speech synth (v3.56). It's certainly not a serious tool compared to even Cakey Sonar.

:-)

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Hmm.. Well, that's a good enough reason. How bout Cubase VST 5? It'll probably work better than sonar. It's disscontinued, but fully operational.

XP is really not that bad. It's a lot better actually. I saw your last post concerning this so I won't push it.

Guest faxanadu

hehe Fethaers by all means the speach engine? I use fruity and i love but am also aware of its limitations. The speech engine is certainly not an advantage, just a silly integrated Talk It. I do agree though on the hardware sync being doggy...

If you have Hardware and are farmiliar already with Logic then I'd say you don't need Fruity.... but I do have Cubase and an increasing amount of harware and still use Fruity... kinda addicted to it I guess :)

If Fruity Studio 4 or whatever they're calling it isn't gonna be major than I'll eventually move on to SX as the need for recording externall stuff increases for me.

Faxanadu

www.angelfire.com/droid/kd-ip

Windows XP is a great operating system... To illustrate: Two of my friends have Saitek X35 stick and throttle controllers, both using windows ME. Both report that their controllers don't work properly. One of my friends was going to send his X35 back for repair. He let me test it on my windows XP system and it works perfectly! The problem is with Win-ME. (I had the same probs with win 98).

Re: Fruity speech engine. Some musicians are experimenting with artificial speech/singing in music. I recently was given access to one system developed by a university. You can get some interesting results with it. The Speech in fruity might seem like a joke, but it's actually a pretty good feature! Fruity certainly is innovative in many ways. It's just a shame it's so basic in other areas.

A note to anyone considering changing to windows xp: It's the most stable operating system available for PC. I would recommend that people also convert to NTFS if they're going to make the change. XP is perfect together with NTFS.

Guest combeferre

re: the mention of orion, it is much better IMHO than fruity. VST/VSTi support seems more stable and the mixer/effects setup is more natural than in fruity. Having said that I'm yet to hear this famous fruity speech engine, maybe it'll change my mind ;)

Guest Reflekshun

The Speech engine is merely a fad, a gimmick, whatever you want to call it, but it most certainly isn't worth changing your mind for.. however I'm still very supportive of fruity as a gateway sequencer.. It's THE most simple program to come to grips with and you can get quite deep if you want to.. but of course getting serious you'd want to move onto SX or Logic.. Automation can get very messy, tedius and slow in fruityloops due to the way it's organised.

Fruity is no doubt a fun and good way to get started with producing, but you will eventually find the need for a more powerful sequencer that can also control hardware via midi and work with long audio files (something fruity can't really do). Good luck!

_|reflekshun:::...

"The Speech engine is merely a fad, a gimmick" - If the Fruity Speech is merely a fad, then so are most of the audio effects in use these days. Simon Posford has made use of singing voice synthesisers on many of his tracks and so then the 'gimmick' or 'fad' isn't so much of a gimmick after all! It all depends how creative you are. There have been many musicians who have made use of 'speak and spell' voice synths in their music. New systems are being developed that are able to mimic the human voice very accurately. AT&T have natural voice synthesis modules that sound as natural as any human voice. Put the two together and you have an artificial voice that sounds very natural. It would be great for people who can't afford singers!

I have used the Fruity speech synth in my music and it sounds great! It really adds life and humour to music!

Guest Reflekshun

Sorry to have stirred you up feathers :) I just found the qulity to be very average compared to some others out there, but then I didn't spend much time with it.. I'll be more careful with what i say next time! peace!

_|reflekshun:::...

Ahhh the quality! Yes, Reflekshun, I agree that the quality is not good! It sounds as bad as the very first speech synths! If anyone would like realistic sounding speech then you must buy the AT&T Natural voices.

Blah blah blah! What I'm saying is that the quality of speech is bad... It's like Speak & Spell, it sounds like a robot. If you want robot (George W Bush) type voice effects in your song then it's good! Try getting any other commercial speech synth to speak at a certain musical pitch, you won't be able to do it. Fruity speech allows you to set the voice pitch in terms of musical notes. Does fruity speech use the microsoft speech engine? (I haven't checked) if this is the case, then you could easily expand it with AT&T natural voices! So, in summary, what I'm saying is that Fruity Speech is good for robot voices, not good if you want realistic voices.

Sheesh!

Pancakes.