Let me ask you guys something...

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Ok... So I had a pretty cool idea just a few minutes ago, and I want to know what you guys think of this. So if you could respond seriously, and enlighten me with your various forms on knowledge.

Since I have about a million samples/atmospheres/SFX/Drum Hits + Rhythm percussion, that yours truely, has created from my own sweet and blood, but never really used them. I was thinking about creating a sample cd of psychedelic noises and loops at various tempos and pitches, that could be used in anything from Downbeat Dub, Techno, and Psy Trance. I would not use already licenced loops obviously, as everything I would put on the CD would be original, by me!

Now, this is just in the thought realm in my mind, but it's not that far fetched of an idea. If I were to do something like this, would you guys be interested in buying it? Only like 20 or 30 dollars at most (maybe??? i dunno yet!) It would be top notch production and most likely very useable! How much would you pay for something like this?

So, those would are interested or feel they can enlighten me a bit... What would you be interested in on a Psychedelic Sample CD? Would you like lots of 'One Shot' drum hits? Full Drum loops? Sequences? Atmospheres (layered in peices so you can put it together, and tweak each sound individually + the entire thing put together? Noises/FX (liquid, real world sounds 'locks/doors/air vents/mechanical noise/etc...'? What do you guys think? And what is the hardest resource to find of psychedelic music?

I would appreciate all your advice and help as much as possible. I'm gonna ask a few friends if they'd like to go in on it with me. Help with the production and packaging. Please respond guys! Thanks!

PS. Even if you wanna help out! Have your own section on the disk with your original home made samples! That'd be awesome. : D

I'll post this in the "Off Topic" section too, as I dont know how many people really visit the great Music Making Section.

sounds like a good idea, and i would have alot of use for such a cd. i would be most intrested in full drum loops. one idea is that you make one or two loops, fx and such and send them to people intrested (like me :) and then i can say if im intrested in buying such a cd. its not that i have any doubt that you would produce proffesional sounds, but i would have to listen to some samples first, if they would fit in such music im intrested in.

/psy-fi

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Of course, samples would be available before the purchase. I'd probably try to get a little website up to promote it. I'm digging thru my sample library right now and i got some real good stuff. As soon as alittle more devolopment is processed samples should be available. Again, this is just in the thought realm of my mind. But, I'm kinda looking forward to doing it even if no one wants to buy it. I'll have my own personal library of wicked sounds and loops organized for my own benifit. I'd love to share though! Thanks for the input Psy-Fi! You too Dajek, I gotta justify my judgement for people like you. ;-)

Guest coriolis

i'll tell you what i think would be useful to me, and it isn't a sample cd: a booklet of techniques. just ideas, like food recipies, for working with samples, synths, arrangments, fx, and stuff. but not like that crap you read in those magazine columns where they just talk to the beginners and repeat the redundant crap that anyone who's played with a synth knows how to do. i'm talking about original creative ideas that have lots of possibilities latent in them. this would be useful to me. it could be argued that sample cds are the sonic equivalent of tv dinners. instead, i'm talking about wanting a cookbook, not a set of pre-packaged microwave dinners, if you see what i mean.

sample cds, don't get me wrong, have their uses, and are not dead in terms of creative potential, especially for those who are into the extreme and black art of sample manipulation. my tv-dinner analogy is only to make a point. but sample manipulation is such a small part of trance, why not offer something more well rounded, more exciting, more useful? just an idea.

Guest DeeperNETWERK

What would you consider 'more well round, more exciting, more useful', Coriolis?

Well, it doesn't seem like too many people are interested... I'm still gonna create it for my portfolio for my recording arts school (...trying to make it as a sound designer). I'll make a little website with some samples on there, and if anyone is interested, i'll ship it out.

There is no cookbook for music though Coriolis.

Guest DeeperNETWERK

I'd like to add most my effects and sound designing is taken from the real world, and ussually have quite a disturbing signal path... For example.. Taking a drain pipe dropping my mic down in the sewer (it's safe, i swear ; ) ) recorded with condensor and dynamic microphones (no radio shack shit), with nice preamps and a highend minidisc player, then bringing it back into my lab and running it thru different guitar and bass amps, ussually with some sorta object in front of them.. like a big fan, and then recorded back into the computer with another set of preamps, and cleaned up in wavelab, where the post production occurs; where I add high quality reverbs and effects to get a more psychedelic and unussual sound set. All my 'fake' FX are made from hardware synths and off board processors and effect boxes. No software, other than random VST plugs and Waves Gold Bundle 3.6. Sometimes, if needed, i'll chop up my effect ussually into 16th notes, into Halion or battery, and play them off my midi controller to explore differen pitches and rhythms. A lot of the time I bypass the the guitar/bass amps as it does seem to dirty the sound a little to much for quality use. But if it's done just right, you'll get some bizarre sounds.

There's one chapter of my "cookbook" Coriolis! : D

Getting electrocution sounds is cool too. Take your mixer, take a bunch of stray wires connected to some piece of offboard equiptment and plug them in half way and twist them, this works best with 2 or more people, as you can get a variety of buzzes and pops without post production editing. You'll get some nice sharp buzzing noises. Jack up the gain on that offboard gear! Great stuff...

Well Lifeform/DeeperNETWERK, I'd certainly purchase any CD you released simply due to the amounts of time we've spent chatting about all sorts of random stuff on AIM :) any friend of mine that gets something released will get a few bucks from my pocket :-D

I'd find single drum-samples to be the most useful. Single psychedelic sounds - I don't really like using loops, so single sounds would be best, IMO :)

Sounds like a great idea - be sure to let me know if there's anything at all I can help you with, my man

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

go for it!

Guest coriolis

deepernetwerk says: "there is no cookbook for music"

i'm not talking about some kind of definitive recipe for making good trance music, thats bullshit. i'm just talking about stuff like this:

"to make that sound effect you use on your dropout sound a little more sumthin, process it with a reverb with a slow attack and place that sample a split second before the sound itself, creating a swelling wash-like effect..."

or

"one useful thing to do when creating kick and bassline combinations is to "duck" the bassline's volume on the sounding of the kick drum, so as not to produce interfering bass frequencies"

or

"when creating a sixteenth note bassline rhythm, try using two different bass synths, one for the 2nd+4th sixteenth notes and one for the 1st and 3rd, creating an alternating/bouncing/rolling feel"

or

"here's an idea: use reaktor to create a lfo-based pan effect, where the frequency and intensity of the lfo is controlled by an envelope generator... as the signal changes in amplitude, the panning becomes more or less rapid and/or wide."

and so on, if you see what i mean. these are like samples in that they are based on someone else's creativity and technical know-how. but they allow you to do things you may not have thought of, and enable you to then make your own variations and modifications to the idea. just like samples, right?

okay everyone - i accept check or money order - please pay me now :)

Guest DeeperNETWERK

"when creating a sixteenth note bassline rhythm, try using two different bass synths, one for the 2nd+4th sixteenth notes and one for the 1st and 3rd, creating an alternating/bouncing/rolling feel"

Or just send the velocity to your filter section and change the velocity to your dissired sound. Same idea, but increases your workflow.

tips come with practice. this forum is your cookbook. excellent sample cds come around after the guy that made it big with them doesn't need them anymore. i'd buy the sample cd over 'tips' anyday. but tips are always welcome:).

besides, tips usually are dependant on the studio. don't talk to me about vst's if i only use reason. in the same respect, don't talk about automation if i only use direct x fx. its all relative. i've heard some of Lifeform/DeeperNETWERK's samples and they are top notch, new sounds. it would be a service to us all to get them............;)

blink

Guest eXpulse

i download all my AKAI's from direct connect

takes a while , but they are free:)

i'd buy your cd , but only if i couldn't get all the ones i have for free

sorry

Guest eXpulse

i download all my AKAI's from direct connect

takes a while , but they are free:)

i'd buy your cd , but only if i couldn't get all the ones i have for free

sorry