Aren't we entitled to our own opinion... without reprisal(s)

Guest rx7style

For those of you who didn't understand -- KEEP THE CHILDISH INSULTS OUT OF THE ***REVIEWS*** SECTION! [bTW, caps lock does not mean I'm shouting or yelling, it's just to emphasize my point].

Why would someone read through the reviews on this site... because they want to hear someone else’s' opinion on an album for any number of reasons: to help with a purchase, to compare tastes, etc... A review that says "this album was NOT good -- I use it as a coaster" is just as useful as "this album changed my life!!! infinite/10" And on that note... what value is obtained by reading posts that mention nothing about the album/ep/compil, offering no insight into the album whatsoever? Instead the post was written exclusively to insult a previous reviewer/review. For those of you who don't understand and propagate this behaviour -- that is who I am labeling immature.

Although my delivery of this message was admittedly crude in certain areas, I resent people who say my reviews are offensive, or that my intelligence dictates my musical tastes, or that reviews can only be posted if they are positive and praise the music in question... think long and hard about why music is such an important part of many peoples lives and remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you disagree, keep it to yourself or discuss it in private. And remember, IT'S JUST SOMEONES OPINION. You can disregard if you like, but there's no reason to defend your position based on someone else’s interpretation of the same piece of music!

Does this mean I'm a crybaby? Does this mean I need an onslaught of insults from people who like what I consider "terrible"? I apologize for my offensive writings in this forum, but in the reviews section I talk about music. If I have listened to a score of music and deem it to be terrible, I should be able to write: "this album goes straight to the garbage".

I agree that curse words should not be used in a professional review, but this is a very informal page and censorship is only enforced in extreme cases of vulgarity! My LIMITED use of colourful language does not mean I am bitter, angry, or blah, blah, blah ... If you assume that is the entirety of my character, that's your interpretation derived exclusively from a small aspect of communication. Text is physically unable to convey the numerous aspects of paralanguage: emotion, rising and falling inflection, body gestures, apostrophe, expression, tone, etc, etc.. kinesics and proxemics are fundamental, and the authors intended interpretation can be lost entirely without them.

Summary -- the review section is for reviews. If you disagree, speak with a site administrator. They will tell you what conduct is acceptable in the reviews section -- and being on the receiving end of insults so many times now [when other reviews meet or exceed my level of as Syre says, offensiveness] I think it's time that it ends.

rx7style@usa.com -- shout all you want.

My memory doesn't include that of typing the acronym PLUR, unless your tally starts right now.

Guest Da Klinkster

Hey man.. :)

Listen, I understand that reviews should be posted to reviews, and opinions outside of reviews posted to the forums. But just as you pointed out, sometimes emotion can cause language and or decisions to cross lines. I just got sick of seeing that @!#$ man, and I just don't think that EVERYBODY reads these forums. Sure a core of our community here does, but I bet there's a fair percentage that just read the reviews and that's it. I was just hoping to get people to be a bit more thoughtful. You can be negative in a thoughtful way too! :) So that was basically me getting pissed off at people being so lazy and too goddam quick to judge in the reviews section, and ended up in me posting something that may have been better left here. But hey, I'm an emotional creature, what's done is done, and I'm kinda glad I did it...:) You called attention to the informal nature of this site: let's keep the ability to digress a bit sometimes!! It adds flavour to the site....

I didn't mean you personally when I ranted there, I hope you knew that. And I appreciate your depth of self-analysis and honesty above.

We can all keep things positive if we try. Let's try to make it constructive here, and be able to admit when things are wrong. And finally, let's all try to keep at least _some_ degree of decor here people!! :)

Peace... (:) just kidding - sorta....:)

rx7style... you should try to explain why you like/don't like something... your review didn't help anybody because people don't know your music taste. There were also people who said it was a good album........... sooooo...... who do I trust............ like somebody said earlier.... it's like flippin a coin.

Rx7 - a bit of respect for music and others would go a long way. Yes, everyone has their own opinion - but u have malicious intent.

I don't think anyone has a problem with people who enjoy diferent types of music, but for some reason people take offense to the way in which u conduct yourself. Tone it down, young chap.

Guest Liptonice

I have the same tastes as you in music rx7style, but I still can see peoples point. You do 'can' albums instead of just stating that u do not like them and why that is. I agree with MK, maybe tone it down!?

But keep up the reviews, cause I like many of the same artists as you do.