Samples and Loops - yes or no?

hey all,

was gonna pot this in the samples thread but its a topic of its own:

what is everyones opinion on the use of samples and loops in trance creation???

the reason i ask is, i have just had a track signed to Demon Tea Records, in this track i have used heaps of different loops and samples, drum loops, horn loops, guitar loops, etc. they have all been effected in some way but are basically still the original sample/loop.

now after much internal debate on the 'original-ness' of my track, i decided to go ahead and have it released basically because:

its not the tools u use, its how u use them.

the same loops and samples could be given to another artist, with the final results being quite different.

so, what say u?

:)

Protex Midget,

I was thinking about making my OWN samples..... ;-)

you know, something in the sense of:

track 1 "when are we leaving?"

track 2 "ok we're on the way!"

track 3 "are we THERE yet?!"

track 4 "our destination is RIGHT around the corner!"

track 5 "we've MADE it!"

track 6 "what a fanTAStic trip!"

feel free to jack my ideas; i can never tell if they suck or if they "kick ass"

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

suck ass?

Guest Protex Midget

hey Strump.... I have nothing to say to you, but i'm replying out of good manners.

(we don't wanna offend anybody... we just wanna get high and sleep with blonde swedish models)

Reece - Seems to me one generally has three tasteful choices:

1. Go with an Amon Tobin approach and fill you songs to the brim with samples and loops, making the piece a collage of altered but stolen sounds, with a completely different intent than the original sources. (Ambitious but interesting.)

2. Use the samples and loops judiciously, only in a couple key parts of the track for highlight. (Most popular, but boring, cliche and predictable.)

3. Use none at all. (My favorite most of the time.)

:) EA

i just find it intereting to hear most ppl say, samples r fucked, be original etc... when id say most professional artists would use samples and loops somewhere in their creations...

take an artist like hux flux for example, now we all know that heaps of those little squeeks and bleeps that are littered throughout the cryptic crunch album are from sample cd's, but its they way they are sequenced together, and the effect/final result that they give.

or logic bomb using samples straight outta fruity loops?

or all those ambient and reverb-y noises that predominate in most minimal tracks?

do u respect them any less for it???

i certainly dont...

i use samples cause i like em, and to enhance the music that is already there,

i dont write my tracks around the sample.

and it really is FUN finding everyday sounds and turning it into music!!!

and isnt that the point of writing music???

to have fun?

seems a lot of ppl in this scene forget about the 'f' word sometimes...

:)

Guest Elysium Project

If noone used samples the music would become damn boring!

The samples in instrumental music is in a way a substitute for vocals and without them the music would sound very thin and hollow. The samples make the music become more atmospheric, crunchy, rythmic and unique.

If I should make music without samples my music would not be the same. How could I use all the ethnic chanting and atmospheres and sounds withoout samples Yes I could go to many different countries and record those ethnic songs and athmospheres but then I properly would not have time to work in my studio and properly not be able to afford anything else!

When people say that they like music from the scratch and hate samples it seem to me that they do not at all know what they are talking about!

Guest etherdesign

Oh I'm all for samples, love em.. I was just suprised a rather large bit of an intro as a demo song for a sample CD, and also sore because I didn't find it before Simon did.. =)

I agree with Elysium mostly Samples do make instrumental music more alive and unique - "Be original"! He-he, originality is your self -expression, the way you see, feel and hear and proper usage of samples adds a special colour P.S. And whats with the Swedish chick and samples? Kate P.P.S Theres always a balance to be kept

Guest jakemyth

Reece..............your music is YOUR music. Doesn't matter how u made it just that u did, just that instead of another person in this world who likes to crap on everything others do, there is someone actually doing it and being creative.......i know what sort of people i'd rather hang with.

Congrats on a Demon Tea release.......rokn label.

Guest bugbread

The simple answer to "Are samples OK?" is Simon Posford. He uses tons of them. The whole melody for "My Head Feels Like A Frisbee" was sampled. Does it still kick amazing ass? Yes.