MUSIC SOFTWARE

OK, this question is specifically for YOU. not these other people reading this post. It's made for YOU, so listen up, and please reply :)

What software are YOU using to do what actions with your music?

Just interested :)

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

I think you would be happiest with Reason if you are just starting... or maybe you should first test some audio editor like Sound Forge.. you can't make a track with it but you can twist you audio files (.wav)... for fun.

Oh... you should test @!#$-talker... it's f#%"# funny. http://www.shittalker.com

at the moment i mainly use reason and cubase for a sequencer

cool edit pro, wavlab & recycle for creating wavs and editing loops

and hardware for the rest.......

Guest etherdesign

Programs:

Logic Audio Platinum

Audiomulch

Granulab

PD

Reaktor

Vaz Modular

SimSynth

Plugins:

NI FM7

QuadraSid

Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V

WASP in Orion

Muon Tau Pro

Sonic Syndicate Junglist

Sonic Syndicate Scorpion

Lots of other hardware besides this, but since you asked software.. that is the software..

Guest Lifeform

For synth sound and noise i ussually use my JP-8000 or EA1. For strings i use the JP, and a Korg N364 ... This thing has the best smoothest pads around... I think atleast. It was my first synth back in freshman year of highschool... I'll never get rid of it.

For drums... I use waldorf attack mostly... And some stupid VST drummachines that have 909 kits... Just use the highats...

Basslines... I have a really hard time with basslines... But i use Tau Pro for trancey harder basslines and sample my jp for my dubby style music. Or use a real bass. Other than that it's all mixed up into a bunch of stuff by native instruments or propellorhead (rebirth, reason, recyle)... I do alot of outside minipulating with sounds ... I usually go out to the forest near my house with a cheap sampler and a good mic (sounsd funny dont it?) and sample the river flowing or birds or grass stomping or whatever ! you get the point... and bring it home to Cool Edit and Wavelab... Sound Forge fucks up my system.. So i can't use it. I use cubase vst 5.1 for my sequencer.

shpongled,

I purchased Reason last year, and found it to be LOADED with stuff I had NO CLUE how to use (hey, i'm relatively new to this stuff, and haven't put much dedication into it until recently). I was distressed that I couldn't use wav files with the looping thing, and I couldn't use wav files with that "subtractor" i think it was called (haven't fired it up in a while, I've been using sound forge recently, to make effects that i'd like to arrange into music with a cooler program).

Thanks for the insight, guys. Now I have to make a bunch of money to purchase all this sh!t with.

-=- Matt/Soundling -=-

Guest Mike Indidginus

Lots of stuff, but mostly Cubase VST 5/32, Soundforge 5 and Acid 2.0... :) Take your time Matt, there is a lot to take in. And don't be hard on yourself - that won't help you or your music. Why don't you try taking the sounds you made in Soundforge and arranging them in Acid 2.0? Acid is a great program and relatively straightforward to use and get some sounds up and running. Don't worry about Cubase just yet. Cakewalk is another sequencer that might be good to investigate - it's less complicated than both Cubase and Logic.Try reading a book about sequencing to get an understanding of some of the concepts. Here are some sites that might be useful...

VGMusic

MidiBasics

MusicSoftwareBasics

SynthZone

Hope that helps :)

Mike Indidginus,

Thanks man! I'll look into acid (i think i did that long ago, though ;-) ). Do you know how much it costs?

And as far as the concepts, I've got all sorts of strange, edgy ideas, and seem to be musically "inclined"

I made some kick-ass piano peices in cubase, because I couldn't figure out how to change instruments (i don't think i spend enough time configuring these programs and toying with things, i want PRODUCT!)

You were right, I should take my time. I'm 20 years old!

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Strumpling with your wav files in reason load them up in recycle

edit them to your liking for a loop and then go back to reason and create the rex player and then load your wavs in there as the rex player only reads recycle files......

as well load your wavs through the nn19 sampler and it will asign that wav across

the keyboard then you can play your keyboard thru midi and chop it up, slow it down, speed it up,change its pitch or octave aswell as assign different wavs to

differrent keys.....hope this helps...

only just experimenting with reason myself but find it to be a great programme...

enjoy

Hey Strumpling, tómatelo con calma, tío... Just get your hands into the gear and just leave your mind create itself.When you're at shower or walking around the street an idea can blow up your mind; just get into how to tell the sequencer how to play it ;-) Music making is great!!!! Cubase, Reason, Fruity Loops, Modplug tracker... rool!!!

Guest jakemyth

Using motu Digital Performer 3 and Pro Tools LE........the best about running these 2 is that u can import/export files from one to another. Do midi work in DP and export the file to PT and do audio there. Can b very useful as one is better for midi than the other. Don't use many plugs....but am running Pluggo. 74 high quality effects for under 100 dollars.....worth checking out.

Software is quite a personal thing I have found....some swear by pro tools and others hate using it. Some are logic audio people and some are cubase people. I think it is all about what u r comfortable with, which way your studio will b geared(software or hardware) and what will b better at giving u what u want so u acn get out of it what u want to hear.

Hope this helps.

Jake

I used cubase before and now I´m starting with nuendo.

I think nuendo is much more stable and handles the plugins with less CPU power.

Ok, I´m not a professional user, Cubase may be more advanced but I really like nuendo and is easy to work with!

Any more of you guys that use nuendo?

BAng!

mk-11,

Recycle = money. It pisses me off that Porpellerhead did that. "We'll make our program, then we'll make other programs people will be FORCED to purchase if they want to do ANYTHING cool with the main one."

the "Free Market" at it's finest!

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

I used Nuendo and Cubase but i have for years used Cakewalk and im sticking with it. It just seems the best for me..

To simplify my gear it now consists of RB2+few mods, Yamaha MU100, Cakewalk pro9 (with big bunch of fx) and guitar gear (Ada mp-2, Lexicon MPX-500, and my guitar) .

Im still making my first psy/goa song =). With this gear its no wonder it takes forever =). Gotta cut/paste those clips into cakewalk and try to make it sound good and interesting..sheesh.