how much does ur equipment co$t?

Guest spirit_dancer

i want to start buyin' some equipment but to get an idea of how much it costs...i thought i might as well ask how much all ur equipment cost you?!?

Well, i've been collecting electronic instruments and utensils for about 4 years , and i've put down around 10,000 dollars if not more.. This doesn't include my 2 guitars and 2 bass's though.. and amps. I'm only 18 actually, and i think i'm off to a pretty good start : )

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

My treasured Waldorf Microwave XT (of which I talk so much...) set me back aprox. $1700... But that turned out as a really good purchase! A decent synth these days are about $1400-1900 - but I'm from the old hardware-loving school, so who is to say that a "$0" pirate-software synth couldn't do the job...?

hmmm,

well, to follow up on CiD , and making this a place to be smart:

im 20, and i own for nearly 15000$ equipment..... this not including my guitar and bass, and my amp and my speakers. so im better than you huh?

(joking, just found it pretty stupid to mention and to compare age and equipment costs)

well, i'd say you should start off buying a synth or a sampler.

go to the local shop and try out some synths,

i would say that cubase, a sampler with 8 outs, a mixer, and a synth.... would be a perfect start for anyone.

and if you like a sound card with 4-unlimited outs. :-)

that be nice.

that's what im getting next , a sound card with some a-dat converters so i can send out stuff to my mixer via the sound card......

cya

/C

What? Cujo, what is your problem man? I answered his freakin question. And said i was offf to a good start. What the hell is wrong with that? I dont think i'm better than anyone here, they probably all have 25,000 dollar studio, i dont give a fuk, maybe you should get the stick out of you ass man. How is it stupid.............? ::::shaking head:::::::::::

hey,

it was a joke,, i jsut thought it was pretty stupid to mention your total cost of equipment like that,

my problem was probably that you mentioned your age and compared it with the amount of gear.

as if the gear makes the music, and since your 18, then you are EXTREMLY talented. i haven't heard your music , so i can't say if you are or not.

but i know people who owns NO gear who are 16 and makes TOP NOTCH music and i know people who are 40 and has PRO TOOLS and make shitty stuff.

it's incomparable.

sorry, if i pissed you off , i didn't mean it personally,

a lot of people, when they see my studio they ask "How old are you". and they shiver when they hear im 20, and they laugh and say "And you already got a contract???"

what does all this has to do with my age?

sorry man!.

/C

He probably ment that with the age of 18 he has already spent 10.000 $$$$ on his equipment, which is pretty much!! i would never hawe such amount of money, so it is a good start! he didn't say anything like " ooh im so talented".

you got it wrong cujo i think..

Thank you. I never said i was any better than anyone, cause i'm not like that. The original question was how much does your studio equiptment cost so i answered him, plain and simple. This is all just a Huge misunderstanding so lets just forget about it, hehe...

well.... i have nothing to do with it... and i usually dont mess with "trouble and useless" topics....but i think i got what cujo means and i think he's right... maybe 'cid (wich i respect) used the wrong words and it really sounded like "hey im young and im the best, and im rich and i have an over inflated ego" but we r shure that he ain't meant that... so lets get back with spirit's question... wich im very intrested in too....

hey,

yea, good vibrations ,, all the time.

well, a REALLY nice , starter setup i think,, would be around 1000 us $

that's not an exact price,,, but it's affordable for all i think,

mainly i would say, you should get a nice computer, with a nice soundcard,, get around with a sequenzer and get to know different techniques.

then i would go to the local shop, and try out some various synths or maybe some samplers.

if you have some friends who can help you, or you be "A fly on the wall" at their studio , and see how they work, then you can get the perfect idea on how to work,, a kind of "Learning by doing" when it comes to getting to know the different gear setups.

i would , now after having bought a ton of gear, i would have started with a synth, maybe a virus or some other synth that can make several sounds at 1 time,, then maybe a sampler, and a nice mixer, and a computer.

speakers and amp of course to,

but i would work with that to start with.

then if you need more than the virus can do, then making harddisk recording would be the best. but then i would recommend you get some digital setup , so you don't make too much noise right away, through several recordings.

then maybe a nice soundcard, with an optical input or something.

i hope this will help you,

but i would really recommend, you go to a shop or meet with some people making music and SEE how they work and make your own ideas.

:-)

cya

/C

Guest Elysium Project

You don't get much gear for a 1000 $. maybe a ok computer but that's all...it takes more money thatn that......

Realistic as a start-up you need at least a computer, 1 synth, some monitors, some kind of sampling ability (hardware or software), effects (again hardware or plugin's) and if perfect a mixer and something to record it down to.....preferable a CD-Rom writer or DAT machine. This is a very basic setup...

and the price will certantly be around 3000 + $.

Look out for some used gear....that will save you some money...

Hey,

yea, what was i thinking when i mentioned 1000$????

probably i was thinking of that you have a computer, speaker and amps, and then maybe you just needed 1 synth or something.

a virus , costs about 1000$

mainly i would actually tell you to get cubase or logic, and just try to make some beats with audio.

or make some stuff with audio

then you will get the feel of the sequenzer, and then try to add some midi.

or if yóu get a lot of gear , you try with the midi and then try combining audio to it,.

but i still believe that at one time, trying to make a track, only with audio files would be good.

i did that, ,, learned a lot.. :-)

/C

Guest Elysium Project

Get a good synth and learn how to use it properly.... If you know how to program a synth you have comed a long way....don't buy a lot of gear at once...it will take you a long time before you understand it properly......waste of time reading manual after manual....I agree with cujo....get a seequencer program like cubase or logic.

Important!!!!! get a midi box :-)

Guest 3001 aka i-m-bugg

you can eeasily get good synths for under 1000, or around 1000. I'd suggest a nord lead. I have a huge love for the sounds these buggers create. watch out with analog, it costs A LOT more, because you need better mixers(to make them mix in well, VA mixes much better since it's thinner), more outboard fx(you'll still need this with nord lead), some synths you'll need noise gates once you want to have a really clean recording...etc...with $2000 i think you could get a wikkid computer, with a SB live(good sound carD on the cheap), and a nord modular for like 1000-1200 and you'd be in there like peanut butter gym wear, or you can also get a nord lead 2 for like 800 now on ebay...remember don't buy new gear! look at that kid he spent $1700 on a microwave XT! can we say rip off?!;o (sorry man...but they've been easy to find 700-800 used since they came out)...i wish i had rich parents! i've had to work for all my gear! but then again i don't make goa!, i'm not talented enough!...maybe one day i will be, and i will be goa/psy champion of the megaversE! woohooo! and i will get many a hippy girl! and mad will fall more deeply in love with me!^_-.... but serioulsy don't believe the hype you don't need much gear at all..in fact i know these guys who create some excellent music with just fruity loops, and have some tracks released, they take their comps tolive pa tho! that must be a LAME ASS live pA! hahaha fuckers you know who i am!... well anyway happy tweakings!^_^...and hopefullly we shall hear more eastern melodies! and wah wahs! later!

My parents aren't that rich, but they support me (they kinda like psytrance and chill-out). Paying a few % of the price.. So thanx to them I have 1 synth (my own), 1 synth with my brother and he has one synth + a new very good computer! A good start isn't it?

It's important to learn the synth!! Yes yes yes!

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm... i don't know the total cost of my equipment... i am just so proud of myself that i found sh101 here in Moscow. well, yes, i totally agree that it is very important to know your equipment well. mostly because in this case you will have the ability to realize your thoughts before they will leave your head :-) and the cost of equipment is not the main thing, it is possible to hear many projects using lots of of useful things for writing something... hmmm... not always perfect, so the best thing is start with few things and know it well... btw a friend of mine works at studio with equipment for about 150'000 but the sold almost everything last time. and not because of need for money... make sense?

hmmm... i don't know the total cost of my equipment... i am just so proud of myself that i found sh101 here in Moscow. well, yes, i totally agree that it is very important to know your equipment well. mostly because in this case you will have the ability to realize your thoughts before they will leave your head :-) and the cost of equipment is not the main thing, it is possible to hear many projects using lots of of useful things for writing something... hmmm... not always perfect, so the best thing is start with few things and know it well