Your favourite snare sound?

Hello aliens ;)... I would like to know.. which song has your favourite snare sound?

Also I would like to hear some tips how to create cool snare samples... I've heard that if you put them thru old gitar effects you might get something... I have never tried so I'm not sure... you tell me. :)

Thanks. :)

Guest Psylent Buddhi

If you have a synth capable of reproducing white noise, simply create a relatively short (depending on your needs) amplitude envelope (you know, one that fades out the sound fast) and add some resonance to make the "snare" sound a bit wet (playing around with a few more parameters like the cutoff filter is probably a good idea too). I did this and came up with some interesting results.

Btw, try running a simple 909 clap through a Formant Filter and add distortion. Geez, it sounds really fucked up. Love It! :)

Take care...

Guest Psylent Buddhi

Yes, experiment! :)

The Formant (FMT) filter is a unique filter designed to synthesize human speech. Running a synthsound through that filter can create a rather peculiar sound, especially if you tweak it or set a Low Frequency Oscillator to manipulate the cutoff frequency of the FMT filter. Adding distortion to nearly any FMT filtered sound creates an ultra distorted sound. For screaming acid sounds the FMT filter is great! :)

Guest Psylent Buddhi

There's a softsynth called Dreamstation that has a nice FMT filter. Dreamstation isn't really the best softsynth out there, but I like it because of the FMT filter option. It's nice for making distorted leads. :)

Go here to buy or download demo: www.dreamstation.de

Hope it helps!

it's so funny you posted this message, because 2 nights ago I stumbled on something by accident:

I ran a hat/snare loop through a software effect called "PiWarp"

it's made by prosoniq--it's a small black thing with 4 sliders... --on it is some writing that I'm pretty sure has no meaning in any of our earth languages.

ANYWAY-- I tweaked the knobs on this thing, and it changed an average snare drum into a smooth-yet punchy gated thickness--not-quite distorted, not quite ring-mod, somewhere in an interesting middle---a great effect for drums no doubt.

-mike

My favorite snare sound (and I really don't know why) is a sort of ping-pongy, treblish snare - Shakta's Of the Essence (Enlightened Ape) and XV Kilist's Seitenzwack have this sound. I managed to get close to it by taking a synthetic snare sound, tuning it up a bit and adding some phaser. Sexy sexy. :) EA