Todays synthmusic a substitute to old goa?

Guest Kristian

I know I put this thread in another topic but it would be fun to hear your thoughts of it, that's why I did this new topic.

I grew up with synthmusic like Kraftwerk, Laser Dance, Moskwa TV. 1994 I discovered trance which had everything I had ever wanted, filters with lovely melodies, intense and powerful. At the same time synthmusic stopped evolving so I easily went for the trance scene and 1997 was for me the greatest year for great trance releases.

Some months ago I had the opportunity to listen to some of the todays synthmusic, and boy was I surprised! It´s so very influed by the techno and trance elements today and has evolved to something incredible beautiful...

Maybe some of you, who also appreciated the good old melodic goa would like this too? Give it a try (and be open minded for the

vocals!):

http://apoptygma.eu.org/

(Direct lenk to one of the tracks:

http://apoptygma.eu.org/starsign.mp3)

Direct lenk to one of their trailers for vid:

http://www.apoptygma.eu.org/apbl2000_30a.mpg)

http://www.synthetic.org/a23/

(Direct lenk to one of the tracks: http://www.synthetic.org/a23/awake.mp3)

http://vnvnation.com/

Theese are my favourite synthbands with strong techno/trance influences...

What do you think of it?

no comments : )

i must say im a bit surprised to how the synthmusic has evolved, in fact i don´t know if to call it synthmusic at all. well not the type that was made when kraftverk and others made.

It´s rather hard to listen to the music when they are singing all the time : )

I cant say i like it, but i understand that some people could like it. since i listen moslty at dark psy this is the opposite. but intresting to hear.

///psy-fi

I wouldnt call apoptygma and vnv as synth music..well, maybe "modern synth music", as that is more EBM or Electro-Industrial.

Some more bands to check out :

Front Line Assembly

Funker Vogt

Icon Of Coil

Iris

L'ame Immortelle

Velvet Acid Christ

Wumscut

Guest phaeton

*cough* just a warning .. this is synth-POP music :) hehehhe i was expecting something else, this is definitely not my cup of tea .. to me this just sounds like wannabe rockstars on coke singing over cheesy videogame tunes :P i fail to see the connection with old goa, but to each his own i guess :)

Guest Kristian

Together with Kraftwerk, Laser Dance, Moskwa TV I also have the musical background from synthgroups like Lustans Lakejer, De/vision, Second Decay, Elegant Machinery, Covenant, Frontline Assembly, Front 242, Die Krupps, Nitzer Ebb just to mention a few... BUT!:

Apoptygma Bezerk

Assemblage 23

VNV Nation

TODAY, is the three synthgroups of them all that has very clear elements of techno/trance, that's why I mentioned them of all other existing synthartists.

Many of their synthetic chords and filter sounds are similar to early trance and goa artists like for instance Man with no name, Transwave if you take a serious listen (and the vocals are wonderful!).

I seriously load the sound of trance today, it's only hypnotic, technoish (if I would want techno I would get techno, not trance) no melodies at all. So for me, I'm heading back to my roots -> synthmusic it has the melodies and the feelings I need.

They´re all in the genre synthmusic which EBM, synthpop and even the first synthmusic like Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode belongs to.

Guest ZaRAMaTU

Hmmm...when I hear the word synthmusic, I think more of the stuff Jean-Michel Jarre, oldschool Vangelis, Klaus Schulze, Ash Ra Tempel and others created, the kind of space-music that is now almost extincted.

ok you guys ar mixing a bunch of different music styles together.

"synthmusic" is not a genre.

syth-pop

industrial

new wave

new age

ambient

trance

those are genres

apop and vnv are "synth-pop" as is wollfshtien (or however they spell it) and beborn batan.

although vnv and apop do cross over into plain industrial from time to time. and bands like ramstien and static x are in no way considered industrial by the people who listen to industrial.

ebm. ive heard this used to describe industrial for years now. it doesnt mean anything ebm is just some fancy term for industrial that uses just electronic sounds rather than putting dirty machienery sounds in. ie. neubauten and skinny puppy would not be called ebm, but frontline and 242 would be. its silly.

you absolutely can not put depeche mode and dive in the same catagory simply because they both use a synthasizer.

herbie hancock uses a synthesizer....is he considered to be in the same catagory as say.......nitzer ebb? i think not.

Guest Kristian

Synthmusic as I say is ofcourse the whole thingie, then ofcourse Nitzer is in the EBM catogorie, Depeche is in the synthpop categorie (nowadays more onto the rock categorie).

yes, ebm = electronic body music

yes, Jean-Michel Jarre is like Laser Dance perhaps "spacesynth"

IT DOESN'T MATTER!

What I wanted to point out with this topic was that many like me perhaps would enjoy, the three groups Apoptygma Berzerk, Assemblage 23 and VNV nation if you want melodies which trance don't offer anylonger.

Stop theese "corrections" now will you.. It has nothing to do with my topic..

Peace! (and tell what you think of their music instead)

Now I listened Assemblage 23 - Awake... well.. I didn't like it... way too cheezy for my taste. But I could like some of the stuff you suggested......... Depeche Mode is very good "synthpop"... Enjoy The Silence, Never Let Me Down Again... i love those tracks. :)

Kristian, I understand you! Alltid en massa viktigpettrar..

Well, I think VNV Nation are great! Just bought their CD "Empires"

Apoptygmas new releases are a bit toooo what can I say.. clubby? cheesy?

Donno, but otherwise I like them :)

Like nice melodic trance and (sometimes) with great lyrics!

VNV Nation - Rubicon is just wonderful!

great thread, just tried assemblage 23, apoptygma berzerk and funker vogt and loved each of them. i don't care how you classify it

i also queued tracks by other bands you guys mention, probably queued at least 100 tracks

Guest Taika-Kim

VNV Nation has some great very emotional and beautifulus tracks like Standing, etc, but is technically a bit lacking and unintersting at times. The vocals work sometimes, but usually not so.

I once tried checking out this type of music but mostly it's still too rock-ish for my taste... I mean artists like Velvet Acid Christ, Front 242 etc.

Komputer etc synthmusic is fine, but a bit hard to find, it seems.

Believe it or not, some 80s disco/whatever stuff is just great, too. Gotta love those octave bass-lines :) I can't mention any artists because they are mostly really obscure and I've heard the exact sound I refer to only in one infrequent club once now and then...

I heard Kris Kylven DJ industrual/? a while ago, and the set was absolutely one of the most energetic and absolutely mindtwisting I've ever encountered... I didn't recognise almost anything. One of the tracks was KMFDM I think, and one might have been some remix of Tim Schuldt's Blighty.

Anyway the music was sooooo good. Almost no vocals, lot's of trancy hypnotic elements and sounds, and very powerful percussions all the way. And a loooot of distorted guitars, which was great :)

So, if anybody can direct me to any artist that do this kind of non-rock techno metal trance, I would be very grateful :) (besides the obvious Tim Schuldt etc, and Tim's stuff just doesn't compare to what Kris DJ'd that night)

Guest Taika-Kim

VNV Nation has some great very emotional and beautifulus tracks like Standing, etc, but is technically a bit lacking and unintersting at times. The vocals work sometimes, but usually not so.

I once tried checking out this type of music but mostly it's still too rock-ish for my taste... I mean artists like Velvet Acid Christ, Front 242 etc.

Komputer etc synthmusic is fine, but a bit hard to find, it seems.

Believe it or not, some 80s disco/whatever stuff is just great, too. Gotta love those octave bass-lines :) I can't mention any artists because they are mostly really obscure and I've heard the exact sound I refer to only in one infrequent club once now and then...

I heard Kris Kylven DJ industrual/? a while ago, and the set was absolutely one of the most energetic and absolutely mindtwisting I've ever encountered... I didn't recognise almost anything. One of the tracks was KMFDM I think, and one might have been some remix of Tim Schuldt's Blighty.

Anyway the music was sooooo good. Almost no vocals, lot's of trancy hypnotic elements and sounds, and very powerful percussions all the way. And a loooot of distorted guitars, which was great :)

So, if anybody can direct me to any artist that do this kind of non-rock techno metal trance, I would be very grateful :) (besides the obvious Tim Schuldt etc, and besides Tim's stuff just doesn't compare to what Kris DJ'd that night)

Guest Stormbringer

Taika-Kim wrote:

"Komputer etc synthmusic is fine, but a bit hard to find, it seems."

Stormbringer:

Try:

http://www.hotstuff.se

They got almost everything you can possibly ever want! International mailorder too! I´ve ordered records from them since 1986 so you can trust me when I say they´re really good!

Hey Stormbringer, do you or anyone else know a good place to sell synth/industrial? Some site or whatever.

I have some SPK, Die Krupps, The Normal and rare Depeche Mode I´d like to at least get a price for.

Does anyone know if its possible to find Record Collector on the Net? For free I mean. :)

Hotstuff rocks. I just ordered a Klinik box, "End of the line" from the. Arrived in 2 days. But then I live in Sweden and Hotstuff is swedish. Still fast.

Not so impressive box though, the new stuff from Klinik was kind of disappointing.

Guest Kristian

I guess you enjoyed the synthetic flavour ;)

And fighting time so hard I pray

that this moment lasts forever.

And will the world stay standing still at least for me.

Through my eyes stare into me.

I bear my heart for all to see.

With my face turned to the sun there ever standing still.

/VNV Nation - Standing (Motion)

well, sorry 'bout the corrections. i didnt mean anything by it...i just take my industrial very seriously. =)

what do i think?

vnv is great i love them.

a-pop i could do without as with assemblage.

im not too into synth-pop i dont hate it but its not my cup 'o tea. i hafta listen to it all the time though cuz thats what my girlie listens to.

anyway. Taika-Kim,

i used to spin industrial so i could give you some of my sets ifif youre interested. if you want i could just make a new set just for you. =) let me know what kind you want....and ill make one to spec. i usually spin more hard industrial..real mosh pit stuff but i could soften it up if yuo would prefer a not quite so violent set.

let me know.