Alpha & Omega - The Half That's Never Been Told

Bill

70429xbig.jpg

Artist: Alpha & Omega

Album: The Half That's Never Been Told

Label: Steppas Records

Released: 2014

For those uninitiated to the sounds of Alpha & Omega, "The Half That's Never Been Told" could prove to be revelatory, a lush secret of the most divine order. On the other hand, for those familiar with the duo and any of the great albums they have released over their 25-plus year career, you have heard the untold half before, there will be no surprises here, you know exactly what to expect - subtle, non-intrusive, warm dub of the absolute highest quality.

When dusk has begun to fall at the finest festivals, when the forest begins to come alive with the buzz of the oncoming night, when the hippies begin to leave their camps in search of friendly acquaintances, this is the soundtrack of those moments. "The Half That's Never Been Told" is above all else background dub, it does not clamor for attention or recognition, it sits behind you at all times and when you do acknowledge the music it is like an old friend placing a hand warmly on your shoulder.

Paying attention to the music, studying it closely, it is stunning how rich and detailed these sounds are, very much heart-achingly beautiful at times, it is mind-boggling to think that such an unobtrusive piece of music so well made can sit in the background so contently. Just let it play and go about your business and you will find an album that accentuates everything you do, there are no bad tracks here and their are no highlights as it is one-hour of smooth, warm dub mastery.

Not surprising, Alpha & Omega are masters at their craft, sure-handed professionals and "The Half That's Never Been Told" is certainly the most complete and accomplished down tempo album that I heard in 2014.

If you're very lucky, indeed, this soundtrack might just pop up a second time at your favorite festival. When the madness and explosion of the evening has roared into the morning and led you into the early afternoon where you may feel the adventure is not quite ready to be over, when the hippies leave the trees and enter the sunny field with shining faces upturned to catch the sun's rays, when blankets get laid out and people kick back to rest their weary limbs, no finer music could hope to be played.

In my location, here in icy and frigid New York State at the beginning of February, when I say that "The Half That's Never Been Told" transports me to warmer and more fulfilling places I sincerely hope that I am conveying the very finest compliment I am able to bestow upon this music.

The CD release features three bonus tracks - be sure to pick up this version, all three tracks are as blissful and warm as anything else on the album. Chances are, you won't mind spending the extra time with this one.

Such a wonderful review. I must check this out.

Bill, you really have had an impressive spate of reviews the past few weeks. I have made some fantastic discoveries of "off the beaten track" stuff thanks to you. Please keep 'em coming.

• Like 1