Artist: Kalya Scintilla

Title: Dance The Spiral Never Ending

Label: Merkaba Music

Date: January, 2012

01 - Rises In The East (80 BPM)
02 - Whomp Shanti (85 BPM)
03 - Bone & Stone (70 BPM)
04 - The Sands Of Grime (90 BPM)
05 - Break Belief Bounce (feat. Alice Spacedoll) (100 BPM)
06 - Listen With Your Heart (70 BPM)
07 - Caravan Planet (100 BPM)
08 - Swaggered (104 BPM)
09 - Way Of The Tarot (95 BPM)
10 - The Velvet Squish (70 BPM)
11 - Dance The Spiral Never Ending (feat. Alice Spacedoll) (105 BPM)
ligROqC.gif
"I'm all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble!"
Get it big guy. Smooches!
"Sure I could get up at dawn..."
cYlmQfV.gif
"Go to a job I hate that does not inspire me creatively, for the rest of my life..."

Bb41eM3.gif

"Or I could wake up at noon and learn how to play the sitar."
F*ck you Daisy you can have that little mouse d*ck motherf*cker.
Take Asian melodies, some oh so juicy bass, and throw in random glitchy electronic swagger and you've got this album. Originally released in 2012 it is now being offered freely by your favorite free music site. I think this guy loves him some weed based on sample usage and track titles. The album itself is a great mix of ethnic acoustic instruments and the ever present wobbly bass. But it's not just bloops and bleeps around a bass line. I mean that's in there, but there are melodies and intricate layers as well. Some of the coolest things I found in here were drum loops from songs you've heard on the radio. The track lengths are also kept fairly short (none reach 6 minutes) to keep the listener from burn out.
Pun intended.
Mdk
  • Like 1

I'm pretty stingy on giving a release a 10-out-of-10. It needs time to culminate, become legend over time, stand up to repeat listens, etc.

Most times, a 10-out-of-10 album has to have its tracks pop up at random on my iPod and be instantly recognizable. Now, for an electronic artist working with no spoken words to have a style instantly recognizable, to me, that's the cream of the crop. That's a level reserved for Kalya Scintilla, Blue Planet Corporation, E-Mantra (though Eleusyn has been known to throw me off from time-to-time), Oxia, Braincell, Electrypnose and Globular.

This album is great stuff, exciting stuff, and that is a pretty exciting thing to be able to say about any down tempo work. Kalya Scintilla has released a lengthy amount of excellent EPs and compilations (do yourself a favor, check out the "Resonant Mind" and "Resonant Heart" compilations) through his Merkaba Music label but "Dance The Spiral Never Ending" is the best because it takes so much of his work and makes it available in one awesome package.

"Womp Shanti," "The Sands of Grime" and the title track are the stand-outs but if there's one thing to be learned about Kalya Scintilla it's that many of his tracks have a habit of sounding the same. Glitchy, wompy, grimy, ultra-bass-y; now you either like that or you don't but if you're in the former group having 11-tracks of identical rich awesomeness is a very awesome thing to have.

Definitely, no question whatsoever, 10-out-of-10.

• 3 years later...