Paul Oakenfold: What's your opinion on him....

As an electronic music artists.

For the exception of that song he did with Ice Cube, I think the majority of his music sucks. Unfortunately, mainstream american cannot see it(see the fact that he overall sucks).

Well what do you guys think???

I think he's totaly worthless. He is so bad that its a shame to all the electronic genres out there. He plagues(?) the minds of his "fans" with

his simple kids-trance. Frankly, he is one of the worst artist out there, all categories. Damn I his music is so terrible bad.

Nuff said :P

boms!

"He plagues(?) the minds of his "fans" with his simple kids-trance. "

well maybe people actually like "kids-trance"? Let's face it: most people who go to a party have 9- 5 jobs bearing a lot of stress... they wouldn't want to add to their stress level by listening to dark music... and since they have to be at work at 9 AM on monday they can't afford to wait untill like 9-10 AM for the DJ to play morning music.

And he's mostly recognized as a DJ, NOT as an artist!! (actually he's in the Guiness Book of World Records as THE most famous DJ over the world!!)

SMI²LE

Guest D-Dave

Im listening to one of his mix-sets right now, "state side trance". Its a soft and nice set with some pretty damn good tracks. Tracks you can tell apart from each other, unlike psy-trance... :)

You have to search to find good tunes from Oakenfold and Tiesto, but when they play some good tunes personally I think it kicks ass. Sometimes they make you want to vomit, but I´d rather have that (the highs and the lows)than the constant boredom of 18 hours of the *same* "full-on".

Check Oakenfolds set "Beachbop", the first 30 minutes are great. His "Southern sun" remix is beautiful.

Btw, Im going to see Johan Gielen in Stockholm today. Its the same there, sometimes he plays so cheesy music I have to leave the dancefloor, but then he plays something hard and twisted that makes me scream and shout and jump around. Its a rollercoaster ride all right. :)

If hes going to appear on tv, or making a video, or in this huge parties/festivals, he must go with the flow, he must play this cheeeeeeesy tunes for everyone to like, but hopefully Ive receive some comments of people who have seen him live in a clube with not that many people (Im thinking ibiza) and they tend to be ok, catchy tunes with a great understanding of deep trance, fresh yet not poppish..

ya know what's really funny...? Oakenfold used to play goa trance! He did an Essential Mix for BBC Radio 1 back in '94 that is full of totally classic tunes and artists... But I guess he didn't care that much for the music because he went over to more commercial trance cheese. Actually, over the past year or two he's been flirting with more progressive and house stuff in an attempt to regain credibility... Not gonna work for me cuz he doesn't do a very good job of it, and he still plays a lot of that cheese. Plus his mixing skills ain't great... when was playing goa off DAT's it was forgiveable, but on turntables he sometimes doesn't even bother to beatmatch. Pretty lame for a so-called top international DJ.

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

Oakenfold-'Dread Rock' is imo THE old skool 604 track of 2003. The closest thing to old AP, MFG and Cal.Sunshine I heard this year....Choosing his first love genre for a very high profile OST (Matrix Reloaded) where he could go for a play-it-safe clubby affair instead...dunno...

Maybe Oakie puts the acid synth back on the electronic map...Also Fleming (Le Voyage 1 and 2 EPs) and Digweed are slowly experimenting with psytrance.

Well that Dread Rock got old pretty fast IMO, it's basically a loop played over and over for like 5 minutes... the man could've added a bit of variation to it...

Other than that, let's not forget that Oakenfold did play a huge role in promoting TRANCE in the very early 90s, yes at that time there was no difference between psy and "non-psy" trance, it was just trance. So I guess that once the genre started to split, he decided to go the commercial way but still, I must say that I sometimes hear trance sets by famous DJs on the radio and there are some tracks in there that seem like 100 times LESS commercial than full-on!!! And I do know of a lot of trance DJs who play stuff like Space Tribe in their sets (usually near the end). Keep in mind that it's still trance, anyway you look at it!! On the other hand, I'm much more angry at acts like AP and Yahel who decide to copy the eurotrance style to sell more records...

SMI²LE

Guest D-Dave

I´d say they are just playing good dance music, not caring about the genre.

Just like it was with "goa"-trance in the beginning...

Btw, Johan Gielen played straighforward trance, commercial trance (with ridiculous melodies), psychedelic trance, twisted trance, trance with house elements, breakbeats, industrial heavy trance and quite a few banging tracks as well as some experimental and innovative tracks last night. It was awesome, made me dance like hell and gave me a lot of inspiration.

Im sorry, but psytrance doesnt even come near that anymore. (And yes, thats an objective definition. Haha...)

Guest sweater

No, Clint Mansell wrote the soundtrack to Requiem and Oakenfold sampled one of the most intense string phrases ever, apparently without crediting it to Mansell.

There's a cool JDJ Oakie mix from '94 that's been re released, with 'LSD' on it. The mixing is stunted and basic, but that's what it was like back then (apart from legends like Sasha of course) and he goes between quite a few genres.

John 00 Fleming is the best mainstream DJ for psy heads... wicked set from him from "Live_At_IDT_Radio_-_22-05-2003" begins with progressive and ends with Astral Projection, Astrix, Ramirez and Space Tribe

I have a Fleming set... it's wicked...very pounding and intense... actually you can probably download it here: http://www.tranceaddict.com/livesets.shtml

1400Miles, you say Digweed is playing psy-ish stuff? Interesting... I'd imagine it'd be proggy scando style stuff if anything... I know Jimmy van M, another progressive house dj, has put Atmos tracks on his compilations.

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

-1400Miles, you say Digweed is playing psy-ish stuff? Interesting... I'd imagine it'd be proggy scando style stuff if anything-

................................................................................

Yup and he has been putting a Bedrock mix of Aba Structure's 'Illusion' on one of his compils.

• 2 weeks later...