3. Tryon - The Answer Is The Power

4. Iliuchina - Play Time

5. Alienn Vs. Zinx Vs. Wired - It's About Time

6. Karmacrop - Interplanetary Origins

7. Shuumat - Harmonic Therapy

8. Frozen Ghost Vs. Selective Hearing - Operation Thunderbolt

9. Orca - Never In A Million Years

vjPB8IG.gif

Fractal Records you confuse me. At times you have released some awesome stuff. But then on the other side of the coin I want to push you in front of traffic. This release is an example of both. The playlist looks great with some of the top names in the twilight genre, but there is the unmistakeable stench of that shiny, triplet heavy, weak full-on. I wrote this awhile ago so let's see if I can clarify.

Black Candy- "Seems almost a message coming from space!"

Yeah and that message is nobody likes the black licorice. No offense, but when you want some sweet candy you're not looking for some Ouzo. It's the red headed stepchild of candy. It started off sweet with some power and the dark atmosphere, but then went the commercial route.

Mathematical Models- Geko and Technodrome? This has the potential to go awry very quickly. And that triplet I was talking about? Yeah it's here. Felt like I was riding a motherf*cking horse.

The Answer Is The Power- "A secret fraternity..."

BvYp0kH.gif

Only the very stupid can call this man brother.

The best yet, but that's not saying much. I've heard far superior stuff from you Telmo. Face it...you mailed this in.

Play Time- "Play time is over."

Yes, clearly as play time is supposed to be fun. Generic twilight that has been watered down like some stinky herb is an inevitability I suppose. The lead that resembles a homogenized electric guitar wins no points with me.

It's About Time- Alienn or as I like to call him twilight Jesus paris up with Zinx and Wired for the heavy hitter on this compilation. Lasers and acid go together like chocolate and anything and you'll get your fill here. Pretty intense.

Interplanetary Origins- Khopat + Sidhartha = a pretty good team. You get futuristic sounds and I know they're out there samples over a punishing acid shower. And that's about it. Good enough for you?

Harmonic Therapy- "What's your feeling when I say drugs?"

Get back on them. This track needs a serious shot in the ass. Not terrible, but you're playing with the big boys now. Kinda.

Operation Thunderbolt- "All things being equal this one's my favorite."

It could've been. Acid, great sample placement, and that twitter that gets the backfield in motion makes this a treat. Those leads are intense so if you've got a headache or even the beginnings of one steer clear of this. Not his best work either with too many stops and starts, but it's one of the best ones here. Picture scratching your dad's records and instead of worrying over it you say f*ck you Dad wanna share these mushrooms I just got?

Never In A Million Years- Did you happen to hear Orca's latest album Redefined?

e1kfCWv.gif

And this guy talks to empty chairs. It was one of the worst efforts I've ever heard and redefined how maybe I've been too hard on dogsh*t. Luckily this predates that and is actually isn't as much of a clusterf*ck as I thought it would be. I like the juxtaposition of the old corny song with the intensity of today. Kinda like what Jay-Z did with Hard Knock Life. The acid deluge at the end helps prop up some of the weaker sections of the track like the buildups and the...well you know.

Remember back in the mid 2000's when labels like Timecode, Nexus Media, and Yabai were just wrecking sh*t with their music? Twilight music that was rough and powerful with dark atmosphere. Acid aplenty and not just for acid's sake. Tracks that would lead somewhere instead of just vomiting everything they've got right onto your plate? Well this isn't that. There are spots where it's good and I imagine it would get the job done on the dance floor. But it's marred by too much polish, too much commercial shinyness that seems more concerned with fitting into today's algorithm of what the twilight sound has become. So I guess I'll say not bad, but not great.

Beatport