WHATS THE SCENE NOW???

HI THERE im writting this forum to DJs anyone who could give be info about the psytrance scene.... im not new here, myself, for any reason had been out trance lsd stuff for last 1 1/2 year... i used to liked daniel vernuft, frank e, etnica, phony orphanr reefer decree and all those bastards but now i simply dont know too much... bbrrr ok what the hell happejn here??????? thanks ok

the scene now:

1. minimal is dead

2. artists dicovered that if they took minimal and added a loud bassline and some random sounds on top they could get away with calling it "full-on"

3. the 25694 copy cats that were releasing low quality minimal are now releasing low-quality "full-on"

4. artists that were in the scene from day 1 should really retire instead of releasing clones of the shitty music produced our days (with a few exceptions though)

5. there's a new tendency of releasing mediocre tracks from a few years ago and calling them "classics"

6. in spite of this, you DO sometimes get a good album from time to time...

well, that's all I can think of right now :-)

Now you have the pessimistic point of view...

Let me say that production quality has soared (and so has the number of releases). It's like anything, it has caught on, and lots of people are making it now, and many of them aren't putting a lot of thought and/or talent into it, but there is still plenty of cool stuff being released in various styles, so the only real difference is, you have to search a bit!!!

there are two camps of extremists:

1. things are shit now and used to be better years ago

&

2. things are wicked now and better than ever been before

somewhere between the two lies the truth

I think:

Music structure was better years ago (1995-1998/9)

Music production is perfect today but structure is low quality

I recommend merge old school with today production!

Powerfull goa trance, this is what we need.

Guest fob lippy

its all full on party music where people dont actually stop and listen to the music, they just wanna jump up and down fast and wave their hands in the air. You cant hear the music properly because there is 20 sounds going at once, hey the more sounds at once the more psychadelic...i fucking hate the way it is going.

I believe that there are a lot of pessimistic perceptions out there, cause the scene has gone to a point where they all sound the same.

Maybe the scene has entered a mature age. It has gone from the totally psychedelic in the begining to minimal and now back to the wild thing with layers and layers of riffs, random sounds and melodic basslines. Of course there are lots of copycats, the market is growing, but Im guessing that this may kill it as well. I think I see a shift in the future, It has to happen, It has happened to every musical genre in the past.

Yep, it is mostly FULL ON style these days with some twists or cross genres, but basically, first guy was pretty right saying that it is mostly minimal sounding with trown basslines and few melodies. It is mostly based on some "formula" that everybody holds to but if you are interested in diverse artists and albums from last 2 years I can recommend you next ones :

ASTRAL PROJECTION - AMEN

ALIEN PROJECT - AZTECHNO DREAM

LOGIC BOMB - UNLIMITED

SPACE CAT - POWER UP

PROCESS - SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY

ASTRIX - EYE TO EYE

BAMBOO FOREST - RANDOM FUTURE

TALAMASCA - MUSICA DIVINORUM

MR.PECULIAR - ELEMENTS

1200 MICS - 1200 MICROGRAMS

+

HALLUCINOGEN - IN DUB

COSMA - NON STOP

VIBRASPHERE - LIME STRUCUTRE

SAAFI BROTHERS - LIQUID BEACH

MAN WITH NO NAME - INTERSTATE HIGHWAY

DEEDRAH - BODY & SOUL

TICON - AERO

ZORBA - ZORBA

INFECTED MUSHROOM - CONVERTING VEGETERIANS

MENOG - NATURAL BEHAVIOUR

FRACTAL GLIDER - DIGITAL MANDALA

MUMBO JUMBO - SPEAKING IN TONGUES

Guest Duodenum

i dunno, but IMO the psy scene is better than it has ever been. we have better production, more tracks that are dj-friendly, AND FAR MORE STYLES OF MUSIC TO CHOOSE FROM. and when you need to chill, the psy-ambient scene has some damn good music to offer. i think the big change has been in the structure, and many people miss the old "epic darkness" goa sound where the tracks would go on and on with screaming synth lines. i prefer the modern sound, as i value the clarity and the muscle in the bass ranges. IMO the "goa" sound has been done, and it is time to move on. what i would love to hear is more experimentation with breakbeats. i miss 21-3 sometimes...

Guest Otto Matta

I'm comforted by the fact that although we'll never again have our golden days back there's always a group of artists out there being innovative and powerful with their music, despite what becomes popular. I also agree with Duodenum that the psy-ambient scene is getting better and better.

Guest Shpongled Shaman

I think the 2003 has been pretty good solely due to the releases of Younger Brother - A Flock of Bleeps and Shpongle - The Remixes. Talk about tight. Next year we'll get Shpongle 3 so that means 2004 should be off to a good start.

Flock of Bleeps is simply awesome and it surely ain't full on. Maybe there is a bunch of full on coming out but I haven't really been inundated with it. The only full on I've actually heard was heroes of the imagination and possibly fantasy seeds. The bad full on is there, but overshadowed by the good innovative shit like Younger Brother.