Artist: Silent Horror

Title: Patterns II EP

Label: DVSM Records

Date: June, 2013

1. Variables

2. Pan'd Labyrinth

3. Atomic Structures

"The ghosts in the darkness have come."

Darkpsy ain't for everyone. Hammering bass lines, noisy and abrasive synth washes, and usually the total absence of a melody...It's a f*cking headache waiting to happen. And I'll be honest I don't know how you dance to this type of music unless it's a mosh pit free for all. The genre has sort of become a parody of itself and the race is on to see which darkpsy producer can make the most noise. The good ones (like Kiriyama) combine other styles with darkpsy for a very complex and detailed journey. But please don't think I'm singling out darkspy because we all know the sorry state of full-on. And don't get me started on "popular" music.

Having spoken with Alex (who runs DVSM Records) on numerous occasions I've come to learn he is a really nice fellow. Silent Horror (Jigar Shah) has a new EP and Alex asked me if I wouldn't mind giving it a listen. Last I heard from Mr. Shah was when I reviewed his album Seance back in 2011. Pure darkness that would really appeal to fans of that genre.

Well he's back for more and he brings his scary penchant for horror movies with him. And man this is heavy. Remember that hammering bass line I was talking about? Yep, it's here. But he also has a little break in Variables that gives the ear a break from the punishment. That's important because you can only whip someone so many times before the whipping is rendered meaningless. He's really good with the effects and he layers them so the track sounds really full.

Pan'd Labyrinth is more scary noises and discovering monsters down dark corridors. But he also does a nice trick with some scary percussion to add some variability. It's a hallucinogenic nightmare for atmosphere and you've gotta be wondering if it can get any worse.

Atomic Structures is the heaviest of them all. The beginning is chopped up synths and there you go back into that corridor. Cue the scratchy "darkpsy" synth and another spooky break. It eventually gets so many sounds near the end that it's like punching someone in the face when he's already dead.

Look, it is what it is. The sound quality is awesome and when I was playing this I was rumbling a few windows. The kick and bass line are relentless. That said you're not necessarily going to win any new converts to the darkside with this because it's still darkpsy. Those that love that type of music will love this. But those that get tired of the same leads and the madness won't. Sure there's more atmosphere with breaks that help, but it still falls into the same cliche's that the genre is known for.

Bandcamp

Mdk