about psynews new version

PART1

====

hello guys. just to tell you 'im working on it....reworking would be the good term as i'm rewriting some parts. php is not a structured enough language for me and it makes problems in super ultra complex modules like the community / login / account ones...Real oriented object language would be better with such a complexity. i took heavy decisions so as to have a more maintenable and debuggable site. I think it's going to be ok now. so please be patient with this psynews 2(+) version.

PART 2

=====

ELSE i need some advice. IF you had to make some psytrance cgenres lassification, something evolutive, something reliable, how would you do ???

I see you people, there in the background saying "hey but some albums can't be put in any case, or share several"....right, i know, i share that point, i do agree, BUT for some reasons, some classification like that must be implemented in the site, *internally*. The visitor won't see anything of it. I wanted to keep this secret, but when my girlfriend saw what i had done for psynews 2, she told me it was not complete, so i realized the difficulty of the task, so i told her she would be in charge, and it will be the case.

Howerver, no matter how confidence i put in her, and no matter how pertinent can be her analysis, i'd like her to have YOUR views, you old'chaps of psytrance. Hopefuly, the result will be a compilation of the best ideas and concepts.

I know this is a, eternal burning subject BUT i don't want any flamming here.

All relevant and constructive ideas are welcome.

I think the final aim is to build some kind of (evolutive) list of genres and styles a bit one-size-fits-all...hard task.

Some examples sets should also be built so as to check the model validity (examples : Shpongle, Dimension 5, Battle buddhas, Logic Bomb, Delta, MOS, Astrix, Synchro, Native Radio, 1200µ, etc etc etc albums could be confronted to this model..this is infinite.

If there are relevant posts/urls about this matter, dont hesistate to link them.

You can ask philosophical/technical questions too on my email at mars@planet-d.net

I'll post my views here too in a short while. I hope my girlfriend will too...je sais que tu lis ce forum :)

thanks.

mars.

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

I agree with lemmi here...Just keep the psytrance/ambient classification...otherwise we would get more discussion about 'this belonging there, that must go there' than the actual music.

That's right lemmi. That's why I love the Goa reviews so much here !

I think it should be kept that way, since it is one of a few absolute way of classifying CDs, whereas style names change every year. Incidentally, it's the best way to have an overview of the Psy production evolution.

I see Logic Bomb in your list. I'd feel very embarassed to put a label on their music : neither Full-on, nor Prog, nor Minimal, nor Scando, nor Morning, nor... to my ear. Simply psychedelic music !

Just my opinion anyway.

J.

ambient might not be the proper term for it... perhaprs freestyle is better since there are some albums with ambient/electro/dub/breakbeat influences in them....

Guest seeprakoobra

One vote more for the old system. And llazi there above is very right; there can't possibly be ''better'' classification than by date. Thank you for that : )

yea and an other vote for the old system.... been working great for all these years. besides the 'search' section on the site can classify it further by artist and label for anyone who wants to....

Guest Otto Matta

I say try to keep things simple, with less things to update. And we should definitely go back to reviews without a password. Instead, perhaps we should have a login/password, with the ability to log in automatically with a cookie.

The two most important things about this site, in my opinion, are the forums and the reviews. Make sure both are equally accessible and simple to use.

I'd personally like if the default page for reviews is "all years" instead of the current year.

Thanks, mars!!! :)

I'd personally like if the default page for reviews is "all years" instead of the current year.

yeah that would be goos, because i have to click that "all years" button everytime anyway. i suppose that reason that "this year" is default, is due to faster loading?

well imo best classification is TRANCE and CHILL OUT>

trance is what you have if a solid bmp is present

chill out is the other

once you know the genre you could add the

ARTISt and COMPILATION classification..

then ofcourse you can have RECENT stuff and OLD stuff..

recent is newer than say 180 days

old is the rest..

QUOTE : "for some reasons, some classification like that must be implemented in the site, *internally*."

>> INTERNALLY

Which means on your side you will see Psytrance/Ambient...BUT INTERNALLY, it will be different for some hard to explain reasons.

So ?

Ok on my side i had built this list with Children one day :

Nitzhonot

Melodic

Full-on

Psychedelic

Minimal

Dark

Tribal

Experimental

Ambient

Other

N/A

It works quite well in several examples, but it becomes a bit hard to differentiate 1999 and 2003 israeli stuff or example, whereas the sounding is totally different. Not the same fullon imo.

Same with the new progressive. listen to what p.digital plays, listen to native radio for example....how to classify this ?

Besides, "psychedelic" is a bit too fuzzy for psychedelic music, isn't it ?

And if psytrance evolves ? if new substyles arise, how to have an evolutive model ?

That's your views about all that i need.

Thanks.

> for some hard to explain reasons

hmm, do these reasons have to remain secret, or are they too technical ?

It'd be easier for us to help you if we knew why you absolutely want to internally organize the reviews according to musical genres and not other criteria IMO.

J.

Guest Otto Matta

Right on, TjT. :)

Winkies - What I meant was an automatic login for the site, which allows one to create reviews. Might keep some less serious people away.

Guest PsYHeaD

Nitzhonot

Melodic

Full-on

Psychedelic

Minimal

Dark

Tribal

Experimental

Ambient

Other

N/A"

i would take off Nitzhonot and Minimal,other then that i think thats a really great idea,i mean new stuff for example like astrix,melicia,psydrop i would put in full on,in kind of music like,pelidians(i never spell it right),gms,absolum i would put in psychedelic...and so on and on...

thats how i would go with it

Good Luck Mars :))

Guest Otto Matta

Pleiadians could also go under "Dark," or even "Melodic." And then the same band would end up under different categories, like Etnica, who would be in Melodic, Full-on, Psychedelic and/or Dark, depending on the album. Keep it simple, simple, simple. :)

Maybe just trance seeing as some of the crap coming intot he scene now-a-days is sofar from the original goa sound... or maybe call the real stuff goa and the new shite psy... fresstyle does work a lot better than ambient as ambinet tends tobe without beats or anything, and some of the stuff is more triphop or even breakbeat/dnb

I guess how you want to go about classifying things depends on how you want to interact with the database, both in viewing the classification and initially classifying it. Im guessing users would make the initial classification? I think, givin a list of genres, music would be given a score in each column. Say give users 5 points to doll out. So they could put 4 in dark if it was really dark, and 1 in psychedelic if it had some funky effects here n there. I think limiting to points would force people to think about the best description, because otherwise people will just fill in the max for each category often:) The total score then in each for an album in each genre would be the average (or maybe median?) of all the user inputs. To help describe what the genres are, list 4 artists or so that score highest in that genre category.. As far as having an expandable genre list.. I would allow reviewers to submit a new category, with a blurb describing why its needed, and allow people to vote on its inclusion from somewhere on the first page that loads for psynews.

my 2 cents.

well, actually lately, I've been thinking of a classification by the usual time that a certain style is played... I don't know if I'm making any sense here, but I'll show you an example:

"Pure" Morning (Bodh Gaya, Feuerhake,...)

Morning full-on (Astrix, 1200 Mics, Absolum, Talamsca, CS, AP, etc.)

Morning experimental (Haltya, Texas Faggot...)

Morning minimal (Shiva Chandra, Atmos,...)

Dark full-on (Schlabbaduerst stuff, BLT, Menog,...)

Dark minimal (Parasense, X-Dream,...)

Dark experimental (if such a thing exists, I haven't heard any yet...)

And of course, chill-out

So basically you take the "usual" goa styles and divide them up into music with a "happy feeling" to them which will be "morning ..." and music with a dark feeling which will be "dark ..."

lately, I've come to think that this is the best way of classifying goa for me, but of course you're free to follow whatever you like

SMI²LE