2. Modern Terms

PHAXE

3. Deep and Pumping Sound (Day.Din rmx)

AUDIOMATIC

4. Extraordinary

FABIO AND MOON

5. Count Down

INTERACTIVE NOISE

6. Spin Spirit (Audiomatic and Vaishiyas rmx)

KRAMA

7. Automatik

SIDEFORM

8. Up on you

COM!NG SOON

9. Transformation

AQUAFEEL

10. Dr. Lupo (Audiomatic rmx)

ACE VENTURA AND ROCKY

That crazy microphone from the 50's is back at it for the third installment of the Audiophile series. Spintwist is one of the more prolific labels with regards to progressive trance and while not one of my favorites I'm a bit of a completionist. True, I keep collecting all the seasons of The Simpsons on DVD even when they stopped being funny a while ago. So with that piece of info there was no way I was going to let this fly under the radar. The usual suspects are represented and it looks fairly impressive. Arped is a great way to open with catchy bass and a huge beat. A good time track to be sure.

The problem for me is that this label then tends to go off the reservation after hooking me with the first track. Phaxe did an adequate job, but the Pumping Sound remix left the melodic frontier and hung out in weird sound techno town. Extraordinary picked up right where the previous track dumped me with harsh metallic sounds and pain in the ass house-like samples. Whattya want it's from DJ Fabio, I shoulda seen it coming. Countdown has an interesting break, but its lack of evolution bores me. The Spin Spirit remix has more agonizingly repeated samples that make it unlistenable.

Automatik brings some much needed Balkan talent to the compilation, but even they can't save this. At this point it's a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Just when I thought it couldn't get more pathetic Up On You proves me wrong with the embarrassing "I want you" sample.

Ugh I'd rather slam my fingers in a car door than go through that again.

Aquafeel has made some good tracks to be sure, but this ain't one of them. Somehow he managed to make it sound as if he was covering Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene. The momentum (typed that with a straight face I did) killing phone call and mouth music also had me rubbing my temples. Finally (Thank God) the Audiomatic remix of Dr. Lupo closes things out and is actually not bad. It has a catchy melody and no stupid sample to screw it up.

Dr. Huxtable can I get a ruling on this?

Posted Image

Oy what a sh*tshow that was. This was a descent into me throwing my headphones across the room and fighting the urge to clean my floors. Obviously there is a market for this type of progressive trance, but if you like the deeply atmospheric and melodic stuff look elsewhere. The cover tells the whole story as he's hanging on for dear life. Another performance like that and he might try to hang himself with his own cord.

Psyshop

Beatspace

GoaStore

Mdk