Mixing Tracks Together/blending with psy/goa

Hey guys, this semester I signed up for a "club dj" class. My roommate who's mostly into DnB and old school dub-step took the class and recommended it to me so why not give it a try :) I have no experience and in fact never had much intrest for dj-ing. I assumed it was easy... that it wouldn't help me in anyway. I have several questions about creating such mixes. I already collected a bunch for tracks between 140-148 bpm. In the class we are using cdjs rather than turn tables thus manipulating the bpm is possible.

picking the right tracks is key yes?

do you manipulate the low and/or high end of the frequency spectrum while blending between songs?

Is slamming ever used? From what I understand its only used in hip hop and such.

I seems easier to blend tracks from the same artist ( at least to my ear) Should I avoid mixing a couple tracks from the same artist? (even though this is for class work only)

Should I avoid cdjing goa? I feel like goa's high end of the spectrum is active to blend between songs easily and have it sound good.

~~~

Look up Rapid Evolution and read their wiki for an introduction to harmonic mixing and basic music theory. Atonal, percussive music such as hard techno or some forms of drum 'n bass can be mixed without much regard for the key of the track but it is damn near essential when mixing Goa trance.

In the class we are using cdjs rather than turn tables thus manipulating the bpm is possible....Should I avoid cdjing goa?

Manipulating BPM is possible on vinyl too, it just happens to alter the pitch as well. I see no reason to avoid CD's as a DJ. Lots of people use them, and you'll find a larger pool of music on CD than vinyl, when it comes to goa.

I feel like goa's high end of the spectrum is active to blend between songs easily and have it sound good.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you worried about building up too much high frequency content during a transition? I wouldn't worry about it. Just try it out. If you try something that sounds like shit, try something different. People have DJ'd goa for some time now, and I don't recall any complaints about excessive high end.

You'll probably find it easier if at least one of the tracks is in just a simple pad or kick/bass section during the transition. Trying to match beats, bass, harmony and melody at the same time is bound to be difficult.

It is, but it is also very rewarding when you find compatible tracks.

I highly recommend skipping all forms of physical media and moving on up to a proper digital DJing setup with a MIDI controlller. Mixing Goa is way smoother when you can put high and low pass filters on everything. If you'd like to hear some of this in action take a listen to Moonshadow and Circadians Rhythms.

It is, but it is also very rewarding when you find compatible tracks.

I highly recommend skipping all forms of physical media and moving on up to a proper digital DJing setup with a MIDI controlller. Mixing Goa is way smoother when you can put high and low pass filters on everything. If you'd like to hear some of this in action take a listen to Moonshadow and Circadians Rhythms.

Well operation of the cdj is essential for a good grade in the class. If I ever feel the urge to make a mix for myself, rather than investing in a dj-ing software/hardware, i'll just pop tracks into cubase and work out all the crossfading and spectral manipulation.

Don't kill me for double posting xD.

I think i'm going to aim for a high energy mix of sorts. A couple tracks that come to mind are Citrus Circus, Micromega, Navigate, and other such. ( doubt any of these have matching keys or tempo though )

Finding out the keys of some of these tracks will be hard.