Ender's Game

Veracohr

I made the mistake of clicking on the 'Entertainment' section of CNN.com, and somehow amidst what was basically an online version of People magazine I noticed the word "Ender's".

It turned out to be a brief article mentioning some of the actors who have signed on so far (movie due in about a year). I'm pretty disappointed in the choices:

Ender - Asa Butterfield - this is the only one I saw that more or less fits my personal image:

Posted Image

Colonel Graff - Harrison Ford - too old and friendly

Petra Arkanian - Hailee Steinfeld - right look I suppose, but too old. She's supposed to be about 9 I think, at least at the beginning:

Posted Image

Valentine - Abigail Breslin - supposed to be about 11 at the beginning? I don't know how recent this picture is, but the girl is 15 now:

Posted Image

"Ender's Game" is one of my favorite books, I hate that I'm already expecting to hate the movie. And now that I think about it, I want to know who's playing Bean. Bean is a more important character than Petra anyway.

• 11 months later...

Give it a chance. The book is quite popular. This has potential to be good.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It was disappointing, although visually nice. Might be good for someone who hasn't read the book, but even if I accept the major editing for time involved in adapting a book to a movie, in the end it entirely missed the emotional impact on Ender of what was being done to him. It tried to touch on that at the ending, but in my opinion it fell flat because the movie had ignored that part up until then.