Persistent Aura - Grand Julian

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Persistent Aura

Title: Grand Julian

Label: Sita Records

Date: October, 2011

1. Creative Processing Unit (Feat. Rama)

2. Attractor

3. Colliding Galaxies

4. Concrescence

5. Iztam-Yeh (Feat. Agneton)

6. Hypnosis

7. Whitehead's Ontology

8. Figs Past Easter

9. Hurricane

When I heard that there was going to be a Persistent Aura album I was excited

Posted Image

Ummm, a little less....

Posted Image

Calm down Jake, I haven't seen you this excited since Prince of Persia. Yeah good idea, take an Arabic character and give the role to a white man. No wonder the world thinks we are at war with the brown people.

While not as excited as Jake, it was still something to look forward to. This is Ewoud Vandenberghen from Belgium and his EP The Great Timestream Bifrucation (review here http://www.psynews.o...__fromsearch__1) was awesome and since it was being released by Sita then you know that quality was imminent. This is a label that doesn't get the credit it is due with releases like Nitz-O-Goa, Protozoa, and of course Goalien's Psychedelic Dilemma.

Creative Processing Unit- Ever run a marathon? No? F*ck it, me neither that''s really far. But I have run so much that when it was over I felt like I would drop from exhaustion. That's what this track does. It's Nitzhogoa with arpeggios going up and down at a rapid pace with several layers. And at almost 10 minutes that's really heavy with very little break. The melodies change thankfully and the break at 5 minutes has some really snakey synth work reminiscent of some old Colorbox stuff. Then the 2nd break reminds me of the Rama track Illumination which is a great thing. Ewoud and Filipe put you through your paces here, so only step to this if you are aurally fit.

Attractor- Where the first track was an introduction to the Nitzhogoa style this is an assault to your private parts. The lead screams and the bass line thumps as new layers creep in like a pedophile on school property. Synths swirl in true goa fashion with some Nitzho touches but never does it become a cheesefest. Far from it as it brings the groove as well. Lead melodies shower down like, well...

Posted Image

Yeah Ewoud, make it rain in this motherf*cker! Wait a sec...hold up. Little Asian kids are making it rain now? Don't you have advanced calculus homework to do?

He gets everything that can be got out of those leads, squeezing them like your girlfriend does the tube of toothpaste to get that last bit. And then leaves the tube empty on the sink without telling anyone. Thanks a lot b*tch!

Colliding Galaxies- As I write this I look at the clock and see that it's 4:20. And realize how wonderful it would be to step back into the past, fire one up and listen to this while watching the clouds. Dancing leads jump around like the floor is electrified, climbing up that melodic beanstalk. The break is an electronic pause with no reduction in speed. And damn if he doesn't bring the shimmery lead stuff like he was standing on a cliff and pissing on you.

Posted Image

5 minutes. I just want 5 f*cking minutes to take a leak. I'm sure Gotham won't collapse if another jaywalker goes unpunished. Get Green Lantern to do it, his movie bombed I'm sure he's not busy.

Concresence- Is that even a word? Screw it, if it is I know I won't be able to work that b*tch into conversation. The bouncy lead has springs in its shoes leaping all over the place and you tell me how that isn't infectious. He's really good at starting with a single lead, doubling it, and then adding more layers. Sounds very good and supremely danceable. The synth trills are insane...yes, I said trills. Higher education not working for you?

Posted Image

Bookfight!

Iztam-Yeh- (Yiddish for "Give me you're f*cking money! And the watch, and I'll take you're bitche's necklace too!")

"The big record corporations ar not at all in touch with real tastes and real creativity in the music business. They recycle garbage that they support with massive public relations programs at the same time that real creativity is alive and well and thriving..."

Posted Image

What you have just witnessed was undercover video of a board meeting at Capitol Records where the topic was: Ke$ha. That's right f*cking Ke$ha. How we sold a million copies and forced you suckers to buy it.

With a big fat Nitzho kick it gets all sparkly lead up in here as Elias lends a hand on this track. It rages with intensity as they do they're layering thing and it gives the track a nice fullness. This is an all out blaster that strikes that perfect balance between goa and nitzho. Super stuff.

Hypnosis- The laser kick is a dead giveaway that Nitzho has entered the building. The melodies swirl amid space like effects and then the arpeggio rides up and down like a roller coaster. It's got that shimmer that Transwave was known for, as he sneaks a lighter melody underneath. The break is awesome giving the leads a "wah-wah" kinda guitar effect. It's not a 4 on the floor stomper but more of a subliminal type track, you know....hypnotic.

Whitehead's Ontology- Like chants? Sunshine melodies that aren't really...friendly? Yeah, me too. Not one minute in and I was auditioning for So You Think You Can Dance..

Posted Image

I think I really have a shot this year.

I mean right off the bat the lead grabs you and throws you onto the floor. If you aint dancing to this you're too busy getting laid. Which I...um, guess is better. But this is right up there. The bass line is AK-47 machine gun rapid as the synth bobs and weaves. Hear that? Yep another undercurrent he likes to put in there to further propel the track. It then of course takes over and acts as a bridge to the next melodic output. Fantastic. Side note, I would love to know how artist's choose the names of their tracks.

Figs Past Easter- "The myth is an idea that, while widely believed is false. In a deeper sense, in the religious sense a myth serves as an orienting, mobilizing story for a people. The focus is not on the story's relation to reality but on its function. A story cannot function unless it is believed to be true in the community or the nation."

Are you...can you do that, is that a rule? Is it ok to have figs past Easter? Cause I'm looking at an empty pack of Fig Newtons I just demolished and I'm not feeling that good right about now.

More Nitzho melodies dance as swirling effects wobble like the tuning of a radio back when the radio had a tuning knob. The lead is very shiny and more so when it is joined by its friend. Another very dance friendly track and I found a gif that syncs to it perfectly.

Posted Image

I.am.hypnotized.

While not as epic or powerful as some, it still is pleasing to the ear.

Hurricane- This is called ending with a boom. Analog synths race past like an Indy 500 driver as Ewoud twists the knobs to perfection. While some of the elements have nitzho influences, this is pure balls to the wall goa trance. Leads climb, nah, they soar leaving motion trails in their wake. The swagger on this track is unmistakeably powerful as sticky synths leave little pools of fire wherever they touch. Muy Bien hecho, good for you for making the final track a punch in the face.

Posted Image

F*ck downtempo. Ooooh, orange juice.

If you love well done goa trance this is for you. If you love goa trance with nitzho touches and elements, then this is for you. He walks the razor's edge of goa and nitzho creating something that is intensely melodic while at the same time urging you to dance. Very psychedelic and a triumph for the genre. Highly recommended.

http://www.psyshop.c.../sia1cd004.html

http://www.beatspace...ian/detail.aspx

http://www.goastore....67f1930375c0e4e

Mdk