Label: Spin Twist Records/ Blue Tunes Records

Date: April / May 2011

Mr. Bogart

1. So F**king Beautiful

2. Mr. Bogart

Unknown Language

1. Unknown Language

2. With In (Phaxe Remix) - Vice

That's right ladies another EP twofer. This is Kevin Josefsen who put out an EP called Train Boogie (review here http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/61933-phaxe-train-boogie-ep/page__hl__phaxe__fromsearch__1)

in a very melodic and spacious style. I've been getting a lot of EP's lately not because I want to help the music industry, but because I have a short attention span. 2 tracks per EP? Sure, I can digest that. You try hanging around a 2 year old all day and see where that takes you.

So F**king Beautiful- This is the first track and before you ask me about Bogart, he was before my time you callous bastards. And just so you know Kevin, titling your track as you did bears a great responsibility. Don't make it suck. Unfortunately you hit strike ond fairly early with the repeated sample screaming the track title. But I'm a forgiving guy and the pad stabs feel pretty good. The track has a very mainstream trance vibe and I feel like I'm listening to Digweed or Van Dyk. Not in the euphoric raise my hands in the air like I just don't care feeling either. Too much of a good thing gets old and that sample is exhibit number one. Not bad, but I've heard you make better Kevin.

Mr. Bogart- "Everything you do...All I want to do..."

Popcorn lead and not a whole lot going on. It's more of the popular trance kind of stuff with the included breathy sample to add urgency. Might as well have been a Pet Shop Boys remix. This is nothing like his previous output and while not terrible just doesn't move me. Instead of the ultra layered melodic style he went in a more minimal filler direction.

Unknown Language- Now this is more like it. With a deliberate beat a soft melody floats above right into a break that drifts across space. It takes a nice turn after the break continuing with its groovy style. I can see this being played with lights flashing all over the place. Was it a little long? Sure, but it was still good.

Posted Image

When you absolutely positively have to have the most expensive light show in history.

With In (Phaxe Remix)- "In just a moment you will learn to interpret your dream. Because this dream is part...of who you really are."

This one was bouncy and tight, with all the sounds in the right place. It had a cold and digital feel while keeping the groove the whole way through. Effects echoing off the hull of the spacecraft as melodies saturate the view screen. Even though it leaned a little to the dark side it still elicited a smile. Well done.

I easily preferred the Unknown Language EP with it's progressive attitude and melodies. Mr Bogart was a turn towards the commercial direction that didn't suit me.

Mr. Bogart EP

http://www.beatport....ogart-ep/350684

Unknown Language EP

http://www.beatport....language/352325Mdk

Mdk