Templar

Allaby - Reform

Nano Records, 2011

Posted Image

1. Glade (Zen Mechanics Remix)

2. Spiritually Corrected

3. Imaginarium (Burn in Noise Remix)

4. Glade ('06 Mix)

Each track by Allaby I encountered so far left me with a good impression. The announcement of this release foreshadowed more tasty bits by Matthew. The four-track "Reform" single contains mostly remixes and new versions of know tracks. Two of them are by Zen Mechanics and Burn In Noise and they are connected with the original tracks entitled "Glade" and "Imaginarium". The first remix is a typical approach to full-on in the style of Zen Mechanics - a properly made track, unfortunately it is not very original as far as the primary version is concerned and I think it was thrown in here just to strengthen the whole line-up with a well-known name. "Spiritually Corrected" is a kind of remix of "Spiritually Correct", which was released years ago on the compilation called "Twisted Sessions vol. 1" (Twisted Records, 2002) and brought the creator himself a bit of deserved praise. Although the track's new clothes primarily manifest themselves with a more pumped-up bass, the background, which cleverly smuggles significant themes for the original version of the track (let me add: a great version), makes up for any deficiencies. Track number three takes "Imaginarium" into its mitts and as a result we obtain a well-tailored, sometimes rough full-on psytance intended for the trancefloors. It is a good track to play at a party's prime time, when the sun is burning one's back and neck. At the end of the tracklist we have the aforementioned "Glade", a track which derives its title from a British festival of the same name. The track finally saw daylight after 5 years of lying in the drawer and being exploited by Nano Records' DJs. Overall, this is not some spectacular music, but it makes one move as it supposed to and despite some routine, these 10 minutes of the track seem to be covered quite reasonably. The single itself whets the appetite for a full album by Allaby, which according to the announcement is to be released by the same label. I think it is worth waiting and I expect that the artist will show his edge, which was a bit lacking here.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.beatport.com/release/reform-ep/380407

http://www.nanorecords.co.uk/releases

• 5 weeks later...

I was VERY happy to see Allaby releasing new music, or remixing old stuff, especially after hearing his live set during the summer.

But this EP didn't satisfy my expectations unfortunately... I considered Allaby to be a very special musician, but maybe

during the past years he moved somewhere else, and he's not very into psytrance anymore; that's why his album didn't happen maybe.

Well, this ep it's a worth buy for everybody that didn't know about him before, or djs that wants to have better versions of the old tunes.

I expected some new ideas.. shame.. next one!