Posted Image

Artist: Izmar

Title: Inception EP

Label: Diggarama

Date: November, 2006

1. Foxhole (7:04)

2. Shelter (4:58)

3. The Grave Digger's Song (5:49)

I came across this when I discovered more releases by Perfect Blind. I know I'm late with the Three Spires review, but I got a lot going on. Keep it together man it's coming. Diggarama is a netlabel that seems to like electro and techno type stuff. They like Ekto offer all of their releases for free.

Foxhole- It begins with the gentle plucking of a mandolin in a sweet middle eastern melody as the electric piano chimes gently in the background. Maybe it's Greek. Hell, I don't know, but it goes down like a cold drink on a hot summer afternoon. Then all of a sudden a funky breakbeat drops in and I feel like I need to grab the mic and spit a few bars. But since nobody wants that how bout we just let the music play? It's chill and smooth with a great sunshine bridge. The electric guitar is soft like a spiders web and just as delicate. If there was ever sit on the beach and watch the waves music this is it.

Shelter- Like a black man at a klan rally, this does not belong. How the hell did this overhyped vocal song get in here? And if you think it's not overhyped...and I quote:

"we could very easily call it "the goal of the EP"... a masterpiece that REALY doesn't need any introduction or text info at all. Ambiental & fluid; with a beautiful female vocal giving this track a final extravagant touch. This is the song for a good morning... For the day that's right before you.. After just opening your eyes in the dawn, you could look out the window and just about say: "You are a mistery to me…"

Numerous spelling errors aside, this reminds me of a lounge act that can only partially fill the house. All a matter of taste of course, but it doesn't belong on this EP. I skip over this every time.

Exception- Super happy funtime sunshine! Nod your head delicious with chopped up synths and electric piano vibes. Gimme that microphone! I'm spittin'!

"When I was young I used to hang with the 7th graders,

little bad motherf*cker playing space invaders,

Fucking with the girls in the 4th grade,

either feelin on their butts or pullin on their braids.

Walking with the schoolhouse bully

By doin that, I had a lot of pull G,

Cheatin on tests, makin a mess, cussing like a sailor at recess"

Ok, I can't take credit for that verse. It's Ice Cube back when he rapped instead of directing kiddie movies. Anyway, that's what that beat does to me.

So a nice little 3 track EP that has 2 good tracks. If it were a test that would mean a 67% so technically it would be a D in school. As in you dumb motherf*cker. But the other 2 are so good, that I think you throw track two out and grade on the curve. Nobody got that one right.

Archive.org

Mdk