1. Entoptic Reverie (148 BPM)

2. Jazz Mutant (146 BPM)

3. Upon A Star (152 BPM)

4. Monoblock (150 BPM)

5. Amida (148 BPM)

Posted Image

Hmmm...what's this? He's from the US?

USA! USA! USA!

My country is rapidly circling the drain it seems, so any good news is welcome. Lost the women's World Cup, dollar ain't worth sh*t, and we seem to like to war with the brown peoples. Enter Darren Harper with his 2nd EP release. He combines forest trance with stripped down ambient droning.

Entoptic Reverie- The first minute or so is a decision. A decision whether or not to enter the dark forest as delicious sounds hover in the air. The atmosphere is wet with forest unease as the bass line shreds. Did you hear that? I thought I heard a...I don't know. Oh, look...a trail. Well I'll just follow that and see where it goes. Man it gets dark here early. The final melody scrapes above the bass line and maybe, just maybe...everything will be all right.

Picturesque with a very descriptive atmosphere.

Jazz Mutant- The minute echoing sounds give this track some real depth. This is how the hell did I get lost in the forest music. Spooky. The beat is nod your head good as the sticky forest slime starts cascading down the massive tree trunks. During the break I see little creatures hopping from branch to branch...hey! Did he...did he just give me the finger? As I'm walking (albeit more slowly now) I look back and notice the trail I just came in on has disappeared. What the f*ck?

The forest knows...and it is loving it.

If you're wondering where the jazz is, there is a hopeful saxophone blaring over dripping water at the end. Bizarre.

Upon A Star- No intro here as the forest crackles with life. Black birds fly overhead and acid bubbles out of bog holes. The effects are the star here, creating such vivid imagery. They layer and this track feels deep as it just rains down with...dread. It's not heavy, but a perfect mix of fear and storytelling. Crackling energy. Hear that break? Su-fu*king-perb. I felt like I could hear every insect.

Posted Image

That, uh...was an insect. Right?

Monoblock- More cyber style darkness and a racing bass line snakes out of nowhere. The effects just percolate screaming and humming with an industrial force. No melodies. Just effects over the bass line. And me crapping my pants.

Amida- What the hell did you do? Why...why the f*ck is he still talking? The subject of the Amida Buddha is interesting, but a sample over 3 minutes at the beginning of a track? At least it wasn't a flow killer. After that it's full steam ahead as the effects get louder and the forest gets darker. The break at 8 minutes sees the beat drop out as digital wind rustles the leaves. What you thought was a break continues as the trail out of the forest suddenly appears. Was it all a dream?

I don't know anything about hosting parties. No idea what music is perfect for what time. Leave that to the professionals. But what I do know is lush atmospheric music and that is what this is in spades. You can tell the guy is fluent in ambient as he sets the stage for fear so well. It's like he's writing a horror movie soundtrack. Then when the forest sounds and effects jump in it is a wonderful ride for the hallucinatory. Dark and lo-fi (like da promo says) without being overwhelming. This is great music to get wrapped up in and let cascade all over you. So do it...get taken.

Ektoplazm

Mdk