Artist: Brujo's Bowl

Title: 900

Label: Glitchy.Tonic.Records

Date: June, 2011

1. 900 (135 BPM)

2. Sub Minimal Message (135 BPM)

3. Reality Edit (128 BPM)

4. Train Of Thought (135 BPM)

This is Saxon Higgs with another free gift. Actually it's his debut. I reviewed his other EP right here. He throws glitch, downtempo dub, and some of the fattest bass you've ever heard in a pot and brews up some goodness. The promo says psystep but I still don't know what the f*ck that is so I didn't mention it.

900- "How long have you been here? 900 years? That's a very long time."

Deep, deep bass that can wobble some speakers. It changes from mid-tempo to breakbeat but make no mistake it is a minimal experience. Some other bass sounds and the odd sample, but after that...*cricket* And unfortunately this is the cream of the crop.

Sub Minimal Message- "This might actually cause people to wake up."

Hahahahahah!!!! Really? With the word minimal in the title and over 11 minutes? This track has a medium speed with more of his grumbling bass. I'm really running out of adjectives to describe it, but deep it is. And if you like bass and can focus on it for 11 minutes then man this is for you. You're gonna love it. Not me. I had to get a band aid because I cut my head on my desk when I nodded off.

Posted Image

Reality Edit- Sparkling synths pluck above more sub bass and this is minimal all the way. That moderate pace makes it seem like it goes on forever. Ugh. The break in the middle is interesting but this track feels like slow motion and at almost 10 minutes...don't be driving when listening to this.

Train of Thought- Not meaning to be literal, but I can imagine myself in a grand train station as the echoes thunder forth. Man that bass is deep and wobbly! It rumbles minimally until a pleasant breakbeat and then squeezes out low digital noises with a far away melody floating above. Real after party type relaxing stuff.

I know this was his debut, but the other EP has a different and IMHO a more entertaining style. For the minimalists this will go down like hot tea on a cold day, but for me it was too boring. The long track times didn't help. He has a real talent for dub and breakbeats which is very evident even on this EP. Even though I will pass on this I will continue to follow him because he has shown that he can craft a great track.

Ektoplazm

Mdk