"V/A - Grower"

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Grower

Label: Lookinglook Records

Date: May, 2011

1. Atati - Versions (60 BPM)

2. Spectrum Vision - Outsiders (100 BPM)

3. Mahaon - Leaving The Limit (feat. Locus) (75 BPM)

4. Vonoom - Dirty Dishwater (80 BPM)

5. Overdream - Mystique Cabalistique (92 BPM)

6. E.R.S. - I Went Irie (The Orient Funk Experience) (100 BPM)

7. Irukanji - Muti Cappa (88 BPM)

8. ShizoLizer Gin - Sweet Dino (100 BPM)

9. Xylonite - Thermal Expansion (125 BPM)

10. Unusual Cosmic Process - Cosmic Harmony (96 BPM)

11. Liquid Crystal - Raindrops (90 BPM)

12. Kalpataru Tree - MetaLullaby (77 BPM)

Posted Image

Part eight and the final chapter in the series "That's it? After 6 months that's what you f*cking came up with" brings a beautiful cover in the vein of Ultimae releases. Letterbox format with pretty vibrant flowers amid blowing tall grasses...I can feel the stress just melt away. The lion's share of these artists are unknown to me, but I treat that like a good thing or a new adventure. Like that party I threw a while back. It was supposed to be just for family, but I guess you can't control who your family...brings.

Posted Image

Grandma! Grandma!! No more gettin' low...you just had hip surgery!

Posted Image

Man, Pablo got hammered. At least we found him a ride home.

Posted Image

Might as well kid. If the Henny don't get ya, judging from all the snacks on that table, the Diabetes will. When asked for comment Satan replied, "Whoa, whoa! Don't pin this on me. I didn't tell that crazy b*tch to do that!"

Versions- Great way to start the compilation. It's a slow, drifting piece of ambient that has swirling synths and a constant bass line with no drums. Sporting a nice melody and growing more bold as time progresses until it slowly slinks away.

Outsiders- This is an abstract bit of music with elements of glitch, downtempo, and tribal influences. The title suits the track being kind of stand-offish. With spacey melodies and soft synth touches it switches between percussive styles. Not bad.

Leaving The Limit- This one has a funky little beat with more outer space melodies. Different synths fade in and keeps it quite interesting. Very thick track and very enjoyable.

Dirty Dishwater- With loads of effects and a dubby beat we get into some dirty dishes. Sunny afternoon type stuff with a smooth reggae flair. The whole track just bounces along like it hasn't a care in the world.

Mystique Cabalistique- With techno and tribal leanings, this track has an eerie tone about it in an Alice in Wonderland kind of way. Chopped up voice samples and rining sounds echo mysteriously throughout. There is some pretty piano and string parts that make me feel I have just stepped into the frying pan. The pace quickens and becomes quite frenzied with all the comings and goings. Interesting, getting all flutey at the end.

I Went Irie (The Orient Funk Experience)- I see your bouncy beat and raise you one funktacular track. You wouldn't think a gentleman named Manfred could get down, but man fred got down! His basses were crisp and he mixed in some percussive wizardry that had this reviewer dancing. Felt like I was at a block party. And the cool thing was he kept introducing new sounds and phases to make that 9 minutes fly by. Good job!

Posted Image

Muti Cappa- This one was a strange mix of outer space sounds and Earthy flavor. You had acoustic drums, a strumming guitar, and some screeching and moaning. Not my idea of relaxing. Didn't care for it.

Sweet Dino- Yeah he's sweet, but didn't he get into a lot of sh*t too? This is upbeat in the progressive style but bursting at the seams with effects. It sounds like something Aes Dana would do, you know there floaty progressive ambient style? Yeah you do. The synths are deep outer space and radio knob twisters.

Thermal Expansion- With a crunchy kick and soft tones this track is a drifter. Synths gallop through computer generated realities as pads form the framework. There is a very futuristic feel here with analog synths screaming as they fly past you. And the end is like falling into a down comforter surrounded by pillows. Bravo.

Cosmic Harmony- You don't normally hear a gun being cocked and the word harmony thrown around together, but I suppose that could forge a type of...nah I can't even finish this sentence. But this track should be listened to. Epic. Truly massive in scope and detail that made me feel like I was moving even though I was standing still. Superb!

Raindrops- Holy crap that really does bring forth images of rain falling. Well done without sounding cheesy. Very full with nice melodies and changes in direction to keep it from becoming boring. Because at over 9 minutes...well ya gotta do that.

MetaLullaby- Ethereal voices float over plucked strings as electronics click deliberately underneath. It's really just an outro but a perfect way to end this business.

This was a great compilation. I'm telling you I have heard just as much great free music as I have sh*t I had to pay for. Really, this close to no longer buying stuff. You had a lot of styles here and it sounded great. No question, this was a good one.

Ektoplazm

Mdk