Posted Image

Artist: SETI Project

Title: Wizard's Night EP

Label: Underground Alien Factory Records

Date: May, 2011

1. Wizard's Night

2. Insomniac

3. Demons

This is Paul Yelland with a 3-track EP. He released an album on UAF back in 2009 called Tribal Trance that wasn't very memorable for me. That's ok, because I think he is coming into his own, maybe workin' out the kinks. Whereas his previous tracks sounded raw this is a step up in both intricacy and the production values. Sounds more professional to these ears.

Wizard's Night- Oh yes it's Wizards night, and the feelings right...Kool and the Gang don't get no love? Why do I see a dancing Gandalf with that big hat of his? This track sounds rather simplistic in the beginning yet it becomes more intricate the longer it goes on. There are many leads and layers and it's done very well, but it lacks that floaty, ethereal feeling. That's ok, it's doing its own thing. Bubbling and sparkling leads with a nice growly 303 rising from the earth. That's when it gets into ass kicking mode. So this is quite awesome, like a good friend having your back or to put it another way...

Posted Image

You don't just walk into Mordor without protection....

Insomniac- I can picture this. It starts off with a metronome-like clicking for about a minute. You know like when you can't sleep, but you hear the second hand of the clock clicking? Yeah like that. It's got a pretty cool violin sound and then it gets all goa-ey. Chants, bouncing rhythm in a hypnotic style. Not as evolving as the previous track and it makes me think of what I do when I can't sleep. TV? Internet? Club? Then...inspiration!

Posted Image

Demons- This is a grower as it starts off slow and blooms into something more in the floating style. Effects and bubbling leads populate this piece. Not bad, but it kinda bored me.

Obviously my favorite was the title track with its twists and turns, and I think it's the best I've heard from Paul. The other two were ok, but just didn't stand out. It's free over at Ektoplasm of course.

Ektoplazm

Mdk