Label: Mechanik Records

Date: May, 2011

1. Where are the Wires - Lost & Found Vs. Absolum

2. P.S.U. - sHiFt

3. Hardkore (R.E.L. Remix) - Bliss

4. Stoners - Abomination

5. Costume Maniac - Z3ro

6. Focus Pokus (Rmx) - Outer Signal

Let's see, who's on the tracklist for this EP? Absolum, Lost & Found, sHiFt, Abomination...

Posted Image

Yeah Bert, I see it too. Seems pretty solid, but something just ain't quite right. The phrase too good to be true has bitten all of us at one time or another. Hell, the first thing I reviewed for 2011 had all the makings of a classic, but was naught but smoke and mirrors. You see some great names on the tracklist but Willy Wonka f*cks up your shit. We've all been there.

Posted Image

Where Are the Wires- No way these 2 heavyweights of the twilight genre could f* ck this up you say? Wrong. Sure it has power and the screaming leads these 2 are known for, but how come it sounds so empty? It's full steam ahead, but they seemed to have dropped their payload at the last exit.

P.S.U.- Ummm....what's happened to you Chris? People Should Understand that you want to make different music. Well ok, but this Popular Sh*t is Unwelcome. I'm just having fun with the title obviously, but this is a far cry from where his bread is buttered. It's a full on gallop that has none of his usual darkness and sounds very UNsHiFt like. Dare I say even a little too commercial for my tastes.

Hardkore (R.E.L. Remix)- Yeah I was afraid of this.

Posted Image

I haven't heard this song, but Bliss has been on my pay no mind list for awhile now. Stops and starts, goofy samples, video game sounds being pitched up and down...I thought a remix was an attempt to better a previous effort? R.E.L. also delivers the mother of all buildups not once, but twice. Get me the f*ck outta here.

Stoners- "Have you heard nothing that I've said?"

Well look who woke the hell up. Their last album had snooze button written all over it, but they deliver the power packed gem of the EP here. Big beats and dominating leads but it's the last bit that's working the wrecking ball. Loud, in your face, and nowhere to run. Let's hope this is a portent of things to come.

Costume Maniac- "OK, I've got an idea. If we're going to call this guy Batman, lets be consistent. Why bother to figure out what kind of car he is driving. Uh..it's a batcar. On a bat chassis, powered by a bat motor, with top of the line bat springs with an aftermarket bat exhaust that every auto enthusiast between here and Detroit would kill his mother to have."

This is Javier Duran who had a great track on Psycho Laboratory II and an average one on Fractal Energy 3. That's ok though because that entire compilation sucked. The more I listened to this, the more I liked it. Pretty groovy with an amusing sample but he maintains the intensity level the whole way through. Good boy Javier. Good boy.

Posted Image

Go Batman, it's your birthday..

Focus Pokus (Rmx)- Fabric of Space from 2009 was pretty good and here the duo remix their track from the Ministry of Chaos compilation. Too many drug samples for me and a little too stop and starty as well. But so was the original in parts. There are definitely some groovy parts but I liked the original better.

So all in all it's not bad. Maybe I was a little hard on the first two tracks as the only turd in the punchbowl was the R.E.L. remix. The Abomination track was a nice surprise and the Z3ro one was also pleasing. Still, I have heard better from all these artists before and for $12 why don't they just pistol whip me before they take my cash.

Beatport

Mdk