3 Elephant Parade 7:32

4 Walking On Strings 8:27

5 Balls In A Slow 7:32

6 Henowei 5:37

7 The 5th Dementia 7:28

8 Chongo 6:28

9 Pistol Shrimp 6:02

10 Rolling Stone Gathers Dirt 7:07

Well it seems that the best releases today are free... I suppose it's because if there's no label, there also isn't the obligation of keeping to strict rules for a release which makes everything sound so generic these days. Anyway, long story short, I stumbled on this by complete chance and I just can't get enough of it!! Not all parts are good but all in all this is one of the best, fresh-sounding and most original downtempo albums in my collection!

Monkey Hi Five is the warmer here, a nice melody but nothing really special, it just sets up the atmosphere for the upcoming tracks.

And then it comes, that spanish guitar melody that kicks in Goat Herder is AMAZING! I just found myself pressing the repeat button over and over, then some wierd oriental voices come in and the last part is made of an odd violin melody. The first listen will make you think WTF but the more you listen to it the more all the different parts start making sense :)

Elephant Parade up next with some nice pads and then another catchy tune kicks in, this time on the oriental side of things. Man, these guys really know to make catchy melodies, and then some nice arpegios complete nicely the last part, reminded me a bit of some new Shpongle.

Walking On Strings is on the more commercial side of things, but in a good way IMO, again a VERY catchy string melody kicks in around 3:30, I could just close my eyes and imagine myself sipping a cocktail on a sunny beach somewhere, then a beautiful violin melody completes the strings, one word: beautiful!

Balls of Snow is a bit of a letdown after this succession of great songs, I tend to skip this one...

Henowei up next with a mysterious oriental vibe, nice but no catchy melody here :(

The 5th Dementia takes us to more darker territories at some moments it actually makes you feel a bit uneasy, not exactly my cup of tea but an interesting listen.

Chongo up next continuing the disturbing vibe although I like this one more, there's a nice guitar melody in there completing the synth melodies, it all works out very well IMO.

Pistol Shrimp up next with yet another really catchy oriental melody, I ended up pressing repeat all the time when listening to this one as well :) If I'd listen to a tune while driving through the destert this would certainly be the one ;)

Rolling Stone Gathers Dirt is the closer, which is a bit too wierd for me, I'd much rather press stop at the end of the previous song.

So there you have it, another VERY underrated album available for free, I simply cannot understand how such great talents cannot find a record label. 4/5

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Artist: Radioactive Cake

Title: A World of Delights

Label: None

Date: April, 2011

1. Monkey Hi Five (90 BPM)

2. Goat Herder (88 BPM)

3. Elephant Parade (85 BPM)

4. Walking On Strings (110 BPM)

5. Balls In A Slow (115 BPM)

6. Henowei (75 BPM)

7. The 5th Dementia (80 BPM)

8. Chongo (106 BPM)

9. Pistol Shrimp (100 BPM)

10. Rolling Stone Gathers Dirt (125 BPM)

I thought I stumbled upon some hidden gem that the masses decided to overlook. Should've known Lemmiwinks was on the case. His review is spot on and I almost just let it go there, thinking there really isn't anything to add. Ah, but that wouldn't be my style. And this release deserves all the attention it can get. Check out that cover art. The track titles are represented in the artwork. Most anyway. I have no idea what a Henowei or a Chongo is. Cool in the way I hang my son's pictures on the fridge. As Lemmi stated, it's another free release offered on Ektoplazm which is like a treasure trove of goodness. Really, labels should look at what this guy is doing before they put out some of the crap that they do.

Here's their site which explains that the two of these guys are from another planet named Slice One and Slice Two.

Posted Image

May I suggest a little less medication?

Monkey Hi Five-

Posted Image

Hope you got that picture framed Boots, because Dora's growing up and you got kicked to the curb. Is it because you hi fived with the wrong hand? Maybe. Get your sh*t straight or you won't work in this town again. But this monkey's got beat! He's also got some pretty cool melodies and it's a nice start.

Goat Herder- Check out the big beat on the goat herder! The guitar plucks out a funky and ethnic groove while the singing takes it to a Middle Eastern level. The break is full of sadness as a violin brings you home with a nice funky beat. Sweet.

Elephant Parade- "Today is the day we celebrate our freedom!"

Posted Image

What you cannot see is the poor bastard who was sitting on the tailgate 5 seconds before the stampede began.

That sitar riff sounds like something Jay-Z would drop. The bass is a lurking while synths rip by. Another good break with sky clearing melodies and soft pads as it gets more intricate. That was a smooth ride.

Walking On Strings- Ah yeah, this sounds a little post apocalyptic with fluttering synths and a breakbeat. Beautiful strings play off a cosmic lead and this track is laden with regret. What a wonderful trip that had me hitting the repeat over and over. Get it, repeat over and over?

Balls In a Slow- Rhythmic drums and a jazzy bass line give this one a shadowy cool, with whispers guitar chords strummed below a slinky lead. Some nod your head goodness right here.

Henowei- With a slow attack I feel like I should get all chanty! We drop the tempo here with a slow groove and wailing guitars and vocals. It's really full sounding with lots going on in the effects department.

The 5th Dementia- Deep bass and some hectic percussion coupled with some great synths make this one a treat. After it fades out a new melody emerges and brings it to that Middle Eastern level. The 2nd break is eerie and makes me want to look over my shoulder.

Chongo- Playing with that cool James Bond guitar are we? It gives it a sense of the old west. The bass chugs along as a mysterious melody chimes. I liked the cool break which had some interesting voices in it. Pretty cool atmosphere.

Pistol Shrimp- Where's my f*cking camel? This is a hot hip-hop beat with ancillary percussion that makes it oh so funky. Good ride.

Posted Image

Camels everywhere die just a little bit when that song is played.

Rolling Stone Gathers Dirt- Insert Keith Richards joke here. Seriously how is that guy not pushing up daisies yet? This is another breakbeat dub style, as waves of synths shower over the track. Halfway through it floats with some dreamy vocals and catches a ride on the sunshine express. They trot out a squirmy Shpongle type lead that just adds to the depth for me. Great job!

This was such an interesting release. Plenty of genres to sample from with most of the tracks being marvelous. There is so much detail and intricacy that it didn't get old after numerous listens. Great breakbeats and eerie melodies. These two aliens got it right and if you are in the mood for some varied downtempo climb aboard their spaceship. Well done guys!

Ektoplazm

Mdk

Hey Guys (or gals),

Thank you so much for the kind words. You have no idea how happy it makes us to hear other people enjoying the music we're putting out.

As for the artwork, Chongo is a Shawnee Native American that we met in Ohio. He's the guy on the mountain singing "Henowei" :) The only thing omitted from Slice Two's masterfully drawn cover is "Walking On Strings." Oops!

On a funny note, Slice Two's dog is named Lemmiwinks. We kid you not.

Thanks again for the support!

Radioactive Sandwich

www.radioactivesandwich.com