Artist: Various

Title: Feldgrau

Label: Timecode Records

Date: November, 2010

1. Electrofeld - Brethren

2. Stealthy Rockers - Phyx & Artifakt

3. Skull & Bones 2 - Principles of Flight & Phonic Request

4. Recovery - Sub Zero

Well, well, well...what do we have here? Timecode is one of the premier South African labels that has released some of the best psytrance. Ever. High energy, twilight stalk your girlfriend who really isn't your girlfriend though she would be if she gave you a chance and really got to know you what is her problem why won't she call she is such a bitch sitting over there and laughing I'll show her music. Times are hard and I believe Timecode is trying to go to a digital format which would obviously be more cost effective. But it makes me wonder, are we witnessing he demise of this once proud label? Only time will tell.

Feldgrau means "field grey" and was the uniform color of the German army from 1907-1945. See what you can learn from Wikipedia? What? What the f*ck is an encyclopedia? Oh, those things. I remember when people used to go door to door and sell 'em. I guess their on some hard times now. Al Gore's internet totally killed those guys, I kinda feel sorry for them. Nah, screw those guys riding around on their bicycles with their suits and handing out Jesus pamphlets...Jehova's what? Oooohhh...sorry about that. Anyway, this is a 4 track EP with some very familiar names. Brethren, Phyx, Artifakt, Principles of Flight...interesting.

Electrofeld- Who ordered a dark helping of tech-trance? Here you go. It bounces slowly with clanking and screeching synths that are building the tension. The break comes with some nice percussion and gives me a Rob Zombie House of 1000 corpses feel.

Posted Image

Yikes. Hi there.

It's not until the end where it begins to get trancey. I liked its hop, perhaps this is a new direction for them. Or maybe they're just proving they can do other things. Either way, pretty cool.

Stealthy Rockers- If you would've told me that Artifakt made a trancier track than Brethren I woulda slapped yo momma. More darkness and techiness also with a nice bounce. Like the previous track there is a lot to listen to here, but then again that's the style ain't it? Deep wavering synths, percussive noise, insightful sample...it's all here. Good track.

Skull & Bones 2- I'm not a big fan of POF and the Phonic Request disc was a little too dark and noisy for me. But now I have my big boy panties on so we'll see where that gets me.

Posted Image

Really? You think I've lost weight? Well, I have been working out more. Next month I hope to get back into my Star Trek uniform.

It's symphonic and theatrical just like you would expect. Strings, loud and aggressive synth, and even a small build up. The synth is punchy though, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Recovery- So, the newest artist in the bullpen is left to bat cleanup? Shrewd, gentleman. And by that I mean risky. But with the deep rumbling bass line and groove it pays off. The key change and melody is very infectious and did you see that? No of course you didn't. I was dancing like no one was watching. It's got the chaos of an Artifakt while maintaining the melody of the label's rich history. It's a pounding track really and I think the best on here. Good job.

Well, I feel that maybe a little luster has fallen off the Timecode diamond. The power is still there, and it continues to be dark with some really nice melodies. However, it pales in comparison to a huge part of their previous work. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the tech-trance stuff as it shows a great deal of imagination, but I think the trick is to successfully weave it with what has been their bread and butter for so long. This is a good EP, but these guys have set such a high standard that I can't help but be a little disappointed. I believe it was Dylan who said "The time's are a changing..." and Timecode's style seems to have proven that.

I don't normally rate individual tracks, but if you held a gun to my head, in the order of best to worst for me was 4,2,1,3.

Juno Download

Beatport

Mdk