Posted Image

Artist: Nova Fractal

Title: Main Sequence Star EP

Label: Neogoa

Date: April, 2011

1. Through Our Senses

2. Autopsy

3. Common Cold

I'm a pretty busy guy. Sure I'm a stay at home dad for my 2 year old (another on the way) while mommy goes out there and makes daddy's money. Yes I have a sugar momma wanna fight about it? Some wonder how busy could I be, you don't have to go to work. True I don't have a commute or a boss to answer to or deadlines to meet or a clock to punch....hmmm work is for suckers. What I do isn't work, I enjoy the hell out of it but I'm still busy. The house doesn't clean itself and clothes don't stay clean, let me tell you. Nothing gets chocolate out. Oh yeah, the acre of property I own doesn't magically stay mowed either. Still as busy as I might be, running a netlabel like Richpa does seems infinitely more challenging. You'll have to ask him how putting together a compilation would compare with battling a raging case of mudbut my son so prodigiously makes. You wanna gif of that?

Neogoa kicks ass. Pure and simple. It is only April and they have already released 2 compilations (Future Architecture and Pantheon) as well as an EP by Sky Technology called Next Visions. They all have great mastering and like this one, the artwork is excellent. I haven't even listened to Pantheon when I was given this little treat. This is Renato Brnić from Croatia and if you don't remember his track Perplexed on Future Architecture then I suggest you refresh your memory. Renato delivers 3 tracks of drifting goa trance to float away on waves of melody. Watch out for the Balkans people, they are f*cking taking goa trance over.

Through Our Senses- Ah b*tches we have ourselves a storyteller here. I love long intros and he sets the scene here with some mysterious atmosphere. Plenty of effects and layers with a churning bass line. It's over 2 minutes when this thing drops its beat with a soft goa riff. The break is computer syntax static and comes out swinging with a new melody. It follows the 3 bears algorithm of not too many sounds and not too little, but just right for a smooth ride. Great track.

Autopsy- If the first track set you up, this one kicks you in the nuts right out of the gate. The lead is more aggressive and thick like that root system I'm trying to dig up. With the lasers firing in the background there is a definite space feel. Oh yeah, the mission control sample doesn't hurt when it sets the melody off again. The break is expansive and makes it feel like we are drifting in zero gravity with the ice crystals. It's only a short lived respite as the cannons are reloaded and ready to fire. Another good one.

Common Cold- I hate it when my son gets a cold. He doesn't know how to blow his nose yet so you have to keep wiping it. It's sad, but don't worry...I'm teaching him the art of the snot rocket.

Posted Image

My wife is gonna kill me.

Bubbling sounds ripple against some clanging percussion and the bass feel warm. This track seems the most loaded to me with sounds coming from all over the place. He even has that breathing sound in the Depeche Mode track Dangerous. What? Sue me, they were pioneers for synth and melody lovers. The break sets it up again as the goa undulates like a freshwater stream. He drops the beat and the melody still cascades....well done. I wasn't a big fan of how it ended, it just stopped.

That was a nice little EP. I would compare his style to that of E-mantra. It's drifting, it's spacey, it's the perfect soundtrack for hallucinating. There is atmosphere and while not as complex it is deep in its own right. I've heard more intense goa and more layered stuff and this is like right in the middle. Melodic and groovy with a nice amount of atmosphere. Good job. Now I gotta go hang some curtains. What the hell happened to me?

Coming Soon...

Mdk