Title: Miles Away

Label: Iboga Records

Date: March, 2011

1. Alien Workshop

2. Alpha Groove

3. Funky Habit

4. Route 44

5. Miles Away

6. The Light (Album Edit feat Ace Ventura)

7. Robots in my lab

8. Necessary Activity (feat Andrea Bertolini)

9. Feel Good

The first thing I did when I got this album was to listen to Dejavoodoo. After hearing what they did back in 2002, I can now understand why the new album is called Miles Away. Lish are Israelis Lior Maimon and Shay Tiab and have been making their mark in the scene for quite some time.Here is an interview of the duo done by our very own pr0fane which I found very informative. This is their 3rd album after the brilliant and I mean brilliant Free Fall back in 2005. How do you improve on something so great? That's a good question.

Alien Workshop- That's a pretty large kick you have there gentlemen. Immediately it is evident that there is a progressive house swagger to their beats. It is slow and deliberate with a warm feeling. This is music to dance to with a beer in your hand. Melodies creep in almost undetected, smooth meanderings. It's very organic...can I use that here without sounding pretentious? That was a great start.

Alpha Groove- Such a total turnaround from their earlier work. Pulsating synths wobble amongst lithe percussion and a string obligato. This is a house groove without the annoying vocal, no question. I like it. The melodies slide in smoothly right into the break as another synth wavers almost out of sync with everything else. Groovy and this is why musicians get all the chicks...

Posted Image

It's all there in black and white.

Funky Habit- This one strayed a little to close to the housey sun Icarus. I can take some of it, but this is pure house music with not much in the way of melodies. It went one way with zero surprises to it. Sorry guys they can't all be home runs, but there wasn't anything funky about this habit.

Posted Image

Good hat!

Route 44- See, this one is already funkier than the one with funky in the title. Must be the bass. Is route 44 the down syndrome cousin of route 66? The one that just goes in circles? Be careful, the NASCAR groupies might take exception to that. You know...all left turns? Have you ever seen some of their fans?

Posted Image

All jokes aside, the beat is pretty cool but again it is pretty minimal with no melodies to break the monotony. I didn't hate it, but it was still lacking to my ears.

Miles Away- The bass is really sub level and makes me want to bob my head, but once again that is all this track has. Empty and not engaging. The groove is just one part of the outfit, you still need some clothes before you step out the door. Otherwise you might as well just wear a pizza box...

Posted Image

Oh for f*ck's sake!

The Light (Lish Album Edit)- Ok, now this is worlds better. Melodies and pads right from the get go to complete the ensemble. Sure there is the smooth beat, but it doesn't have to carry the load alone. Working together you lift heavier loads and this is a groovy monster. It grows on you, changing and evolving with nice effects and melodies. It sparkles with Tangerine Dream running synths...yeah think of the subway scene in Risky Business...do you guys even know that movie?

Anyway there is a tempo change but this is a great example of how good a progressive trance track can be with house influences. Good job!

Robots In My Lab- I like the effects in this one. Bubbling and echo style stuff, all over top of a groovy bounce. There are some washes and organ stabs that give it a nice funk injection. The break allows a cool melody to sprout and it's percussive feel fits in well. Danceable as hell once it gets going.

Posted Image

Go Bender...it's your birthday.

Necessary Activity- "Every time I see your face..."

Doesn't she make pasta? What? Oh, that's Bertoli. My bad. Whatever, she has a very, very minor role, but Oh snap! That is the jam motherf*ckers! I defy you not to bounce to this. It really is a necessary activity. The bass is warm and popcorn is a poppin'! Another grower that packs a punch in the climax.

Posted Image

Wow, the girl scouts are really going outside the playbook for selling cookies.

Feel Good- So if you don't know by now that this is a progressive house album then you really haven't been paying attention. The boys end on a good note with an infectious little tune that feels so good. The melody is happy without tasting of cheese with some more kernels from the popcorn left over. Nothing to alert the media over, but a nice smooth way to close the set.

Where Dejavoodoo was still in the progressive vein, it was dark and minimal. Miles Away brings fun and progressive house beats with a warm melodic caress. If you compare the two albums you might not think it from the same project. A total 180 degree turnaround. Must be easier to get chicks with melodic music. Hot chicks anyway. Ahh, evolution. Miles Away has a progressive house bounce that invites everyone to the party instead of a select few. Way more digestible and even though I felt they lost their way in the middle, there are plenty of feel good jams here. It's summer afternoon tunes chillin' in a car you spent all day waxin' type good. Good job.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Mdk