4/4 Timing?

Guest MaNaMao

Greetings to all

I must say in my time of listening to electronic music I have never heard a song that goes beyond 4/4 timing or a 4 beat timing (i.e. 4,8,12,16). Now, I was just wondering if there are any artists out there doing things with alternate timings. I am looking for 5 beat, 6 beat, 7 beat, 9 beat, 10 beat, anything that isn't 4 beat. If you guys know any tracks that meet these requirements I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards,

MaNaMao

Peace

Guest Towelie

yes dream theater but its not electronic museic.. theres lot's in shpongle: "monster hit" goes in 5/4 i think "dmt" 6/4 (not sure)"...and day turned..." 7/4 (not sure) "my head feels like frisbee" 3/4 or 6/8 (not sure)

Guest Zaramatu

I suggest you check out the album "Diffraction" by the French group Priam. It's a strange hybrid between space-rock (like Ozric Tentacles), acid-jazz, ambient, IDM and even some world-music and classical influences. Their first album "3 Distances / Irregular Signs" might be more accessible though.

Oh, and I think Tandu used some kind of non-4/4 rhythm in at least some part of their track Rodeo. I might need to listen to it again...

Guest MaNaMao

Thanks for the info guys

Hey Khogg that forum was good and all but a lot of the songs there are still 4 beat songs. thanks though.

Towelie you are right about the shpongle tunes, well at least "DMT" and "My head feels like a frisbee" both those tracks are a mix of 3/4 and 4/4 timing(6 beat and 8 beat melodies). I haven't had a chance to hear the others and evaluate them.

...and the others i have'nt checked yet, but thanks for the input and keep 'em coming.

also I would really like to hear something in a 7 beat time signature so if you know any that would amazing.

*and yes i mean electronic music

Regards

MaNaMao

Guest Gibber

Wait for Ott's remix of "Shpongle - Around The World in a Tea Daze".

Its in 7/8 and its is superb. He played it at the party in Finland recently and it rocked.

A bit confusing to dance to at first but you soon slip into it...

Guest MaNaMaO

Thanks Towelie,

I checked the other Shpongle tracks "...and the day turned to night" is in 7 beat timing. That's amazing man. The track is great. I didn't think anyone out there was doing this. "Monster Hit" is in 5 and 8 beat timing. That's what i call talent. Posford does an amazing job of mixing timings into his songs and he seems to do it often.

Regards,

Guest Sensient

Ive released a couple of tracks in 4/4 but with synth lines over the top that are in odd timings...5/4 or 7/4...is a good way to incorparate odd timings while not making the dancfloor too weird i think

Polyrhythms such as those are pretty common

Colorbox (just to name one off the top of my head) uses lots of those

There are a lot of 3/4 psy trance songs...I remember Tandu having one on multimoods (oops just read above!); Total Eclipse also has a few...I've heard plenty though

Ishq's last album had some odd times I think...but...well...I dunno its not really "beat-y" although it does have a beat

If you want odd timed electronic music, IDM is the place to look

Check out plaid, autreche, boards of canada, funkstorung....for starters

these groups use a good amount of odd timing in their songs

pink floyd has some songs (most notable: money)

Not so electronic: meshuggah!!! :) frederick throdendal's special defects is also rad with a much more "electronic" sound, and of course dream theater, they use cheasy synths sometimes, so theyre sorta electronic :)