Artist: New Age Hippies

Title: Dive EP

Label: Cyan Music

Date: December, 2010

01. Bass Spender

02. Physis (Live)

03. Return

04. Wodka Vokoda

Man, look at that cover. Soft blue, vibrant underwater feel...it definitely makes me want to listen to something when the cover is appealing. Unlike this...

Posted Image

Somebody didn't get enough hugs from mommy and daddy...

This is Marco Köller and I reviewed his album Entrance which was pretty good. So far all of his stuff is free and readily available on Ektoplazm. He switches genres like I change my son's diapers. One thing I've come to know about Marco is that he seems to like the color blue. Bass Spender rumbles with echoing sounds from the deep and sounds like we took a page out of 2001's book with its minimalistic style. The difference is his juicy break fresh from the deep blue sea. Physis is another slow starter with a big beat and rich atmosphere. The break is very nice and I wish the track would've been longer. Return bounces along in the predictive progressive style but once again the break shines with its expansive vistas and it's lounge like detroit techno pads. Dreamy stuff for sure, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Wodka Vokoda has floating pads against a kick as it drifts for 2 minutes. This minimal style will appeal to some surely, but I find it rather empty.

In the end I find this release like most of their tracks. Slow starters with very descriptive breaks, but eventually just peter out. I found myself feeling a little bored with the lack of evolution of these tracks. It seems like he had some good ideas (and he did) but didn't know what to do with them. Maybe that is just his style. I can recommend better progressive trance releases than this, but it was worth a listen.

Ektoplazm

Mdk