2. Yaban

3. Pi in the sky

4. Two

5. Quadrant

6. Spleens

7. When worlds collide

8. Scalar Fields

9. With the frozen lands in place

This is Andrew Davidson from down under with his 2nd release. His first Scienza Nuova was an absolute smash and one of the best progressive trance releases I had ever heard. Next to Iono Records, Iboga is the best label with a knack for putting out superb music in this genre.

Serenaii- A forlorn melody starts with a soft ringing of a piano note and Ultimae glitchyness. I just want to say that the clarity of the piano note sounds as if it is coming from a Steinway. A short stretch of singing and then the beat kicks in. Warm, with a deep bass groove that becomes quite nimble as the track progresses. There is a key change that I would've like to see evolve a little more, but it is a nice way to slide into the album.

Yaban- Right into the beat here, with more of a subdued style. The sub-bass is really low, and carries the track while echoing tones ring from far away. The main ingredient here is the beat as it brings a warm vibe as synths fill in for atmosphere. The break is also smooth giving a nice bouncy vibe. Not bad at all.

Pi In The Sky- More spacey synth wanderings with a housey feel. Very vivid and funky. The clarity of the sounds really shines as the beat kicks with a soft pillow like punch. The groove is high as a tinkling sound carries the melody. During the break smooth synths bring more melody and depth, I could've done without the distorted voice, it was sounds slightly cheesy. Again, not bad at all.

Two- He is very skilled in filling gaps with sounds that are short lived and it all goes to creating a rich atmosphere. No exception here as another deep, deep bass rumbles below plenty of effects. The melody makes you bob your head and takes its gradual time. The break allows the track to open up like a flower and finds its legs. Very nice indeed.

Quadrant- After a minute and a half things get going, galloping along in true house style. It's funky, right to a break when it switches focus. Synths twinkle about, and pads wail in the background. This one was ok.

Spleens- "People were rendered mute...by fools who spoke many words but said nothing. Afraid of...an obscenity. The prophet stalked his enemy...until..diminished by his wounds, he turned to the next in the ancient line of light."

That sounds like a sample out of a samurai movie. It is mid-tempo with a ringing that reverberates over the bass. It really takes it's time, growing all the while, until the break comes. It bumps right out, with an insistence. There isn't a lot of melody, but what it does have is a swirling full fell to it. I found it interesting.

When Worlds Collide- I like that the bass begins with a held note as strings waver above. A melody evolves ever so briefly over percussive elements creating a trippy bouncy feel. The bass is tangible and so smooth and liquid you feel like you could reach out and touch it. The effects go a long way here doing a great job as the track ends with some nice acoustic guitar strumming. Loved it.

Scalar Fields- This one feels wide open right from the start, with a dubby bounce. Pads swirl above, but distant. Soft tones move amidst whispers. It saunters as unknown sounds flitter about, with a jazzy trippiness. A nice breakbeat dub to slow things down. The voice was unnecessary but still really nice.

With The Frozen Lands In Place- Ultimae sounding ambience with dubby bass. Even though the kick is 4/4 with all the effects it feels slower. Unobtrusive as if this were a chill tune with a beat. Smooth have a beer at sunset glide, as sounds echo while waves crash upon the shore. Great way to end bringing a smile to my face.

This was a very groovy and warm atmospheric album that was subtle and not in your face at all. I would describe it as a progressive house ride with a chill vibe. It tended towards the housey style, but none of the annoying crap that makes house...well, house music. The details are many and this isn't a progressive album that consists of a kick, hi-hat, annoying vocal and same bass line after bass line (I'm looking at you Symphonix!) I also believe that this album has a very distinct flow. Sure they are great tracks on their own, but he keeps to a certain feeling that really comes out with listening straight through. While there are melodies here, the groove is the star and he brings the funk and makes it very danceable. And the final two tracks to wind it down and chill were appreciated. Recommended for those that want to chill but not be motionless. Smooth, man.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Mdk