Posted Image

Artist: Braincell

Title: Dirt n Dust EP

Label: Free Spirit Records

Date: October, 2010

1. Dirt n Dust

2. Free Spirit

3. Kundalini

Ever heard the term good things come in small packages. Of course you have. As a short guy, my mother constantly told me this to help my self-confidence. I don't know if it was the sole factor, but I became quite the accomplished athlete amidst a sea of giants. Ever heard of this guy?

Posted Image

Guy looks like a dwarf, but in a league of 6'7" 350lb football players he was only one of the best running backs of all time. How about this person?

Posted Image

I tried to find the craziest pic of him. If he is taller than 5'4 I'll eat the chair I'm sitting on. Nonetheless, when he isn't jumping on Oprah's couch he is one of the highest grossing movie stars around. Now a lot of it doesn't have to do with him I would argue, but this maxim is proven time and time again. One last time. How about this guy?

Posted Image

Dude still scares me. Even though he talked like Michael Jackson, here is one of the most feared heavyweight champs of all time.

My point (finally) is that sometimes EP's in a nice small package of a few songs are great things to buy. Such is the case here. Braincell is Ralph Knobloch from Switzerland and this EP precedes his new album Intelligent Beings. His previous discs have been awesome forays into groove and melody. This guy know psytrance and he knows how to do it right.

Dirt n Dust- A big wash echoes across the plains as a bass line rumbles with a crisp clarity. Synth sounds bounce off each other as a lone lead grinds out the melody. After a short pause synths gurgle and bubble like an oil pit, really giving this track some depth. It isn't overloaded with sounds or melody, but he makes great use of what he does provide. The track is dark and atmospheric really bringing a sense of isolation. Just the way I like it.

Free Spirit- The start reminds me of the minimal days of the early millennium. It starts to boil, with a very liquid flow approaching forest territory. A juicy lead reverberates as another one sneaks in under the radar. Then another melody flutters over all giving the track a lofty feel. I love the effects as they work great with the bass, not overpowering but additive. Great track.

Kundalini- With a chopped up lead and a machine gun bass line the track begins. A synth weaves its way around effects as another bass lead pops up. It isn't until the very end a melody emerges, but that's ok. I think this track was more about groove and atmosphere than getting deep into melodic bliss.

So there you go. A short 3-track EP that shows how psytrance should be done. It isn't as melodic as his previous stuff, but more of a driving psy with a hard edge. And it wont cost you more than 5 bucks.

Juno Download

Beatport

Mdk