Posted Image

Artist: Oood (Out of Our Depth)

Title: Oddball EP

Label: Broken Robot Recordings

Date: 2010

1. Oddball

2. The Tube

3. Oddball (Hedflux remix)

Well well what do we have here? Oood have been around for quite some time with several album releases including the goa trance classic A live. Who could forget songs like Silence, Cosmic Ripple, and Cobra? Wonderful goa trance compositions all. I haven't heard their latest efforts (Free Range or Fourthought) but I believe they are more into the progressive sound these days. Here the trio give us 2 tracks and a remix to the title track. Wanna check it out?

Oddball- The sounds of a track getting up to speed start us off until you hear the kick and the bass in a very pared down style. It's groovy with some very quirky effects as some chopped up voices carry the melody. Pensive. The bass gurgles with metallic synths ringing, bouncing off each other. At around 6 minutes they are in full groove mode with all the participants speaking their piece. Funky, rhythmic, and simple. Pretty good.

Oddball(Hedflux Remix)- With a wink to the electro genre and some simple percussion the funk begins! Techno beats flourish and it's like someone pissed off a computer. He's angry my friends. When the break hits everything is in slow motion. It comes back with a big beat and rides the wave home. More of a techno track than a trance one.

The Tube- With some bloops and rushes the computer noise continues until the FAT bass takes over. Wow that is filthy. This is the definition of funky. There is a long sample about how terrible television is, but it fits well in the track as it devolves into noisy chaos. Just then more big beats and hey more cowbell!. I would say I liked this one the best just because it made me move and nod my head.

Yeah, this is definitely and Odd ep. Certainly is an interesting direction they are headed. Techno, glitchy, electro beats full of computer nosies. That sums it up. They are far removed from the goa trance they used to create and that is cool. I'm sure their tastes in music have changed and they want to try new things. Since I'm not much of a techno head, I wouldn't begin to tell you whether this was good or not, but as someone who likes music that makes me move...The Tube did.

Mdk