Title: The Lost But Not Forgotten

Label: Amoeba Records

Date: November, 2010

1. Fantazee

2. Funny Farm

3. Creative Native

4. Twister

5. One40Eight

I love free stuff. And thank goodness this came along as my checkbook is taking an absolute beating. It's a misnomer that you cannot get anything of value for nothing. See Ektoplazm's site if you disagree. That has been the portal to provide consistently quality music for zero shekels. Killer B is Bennie Koorts from South Africa that manages this label. Apparently there was a break in and this small EP which was going to be on his upcoming debut album was salvaged. Now we are all the beneficiaries!

The style is twilight full-on, the kind that South African artists are well known for. The basslines rumble and pace is fast. Fantazee has samples from Weird Science (a movie that is dear to my youth) all over it. "I mean, I'm not talking candlewax on the nipples or witchcraft or anything like that." Classic! The tune unfortunately is rather hum drum and lacking punch. Funny Farm has the same bassline and could be part of the first track. Not a lot of difference there. Creative Native has some interesting leads along with chopped up chants, but it's nothing spectacular. Twister doesn't bring much to the table and is more than a little boring to me. One40Eight is the final track and my favorite of the bunch. Good percussion and nicer sound placement.

All in all this was an average release. The problem here is that there isn't enough variation in sounds or song structure. This could've been one long song and that shouldn't happen. Also, the power was a little on the weak side with the tracks sounding too thin. Of course I am a layer junkie so take that to heart. Compare this to other South African stalwarts and you will see what I mean. He is talented, I just think he has to hone his craft a little longer.

Ektoplazm

Mdk