Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Mantis

Title: Dark Planet EP

Label: Nexus Media

Date: April, 2010

1. Dark Planet

2. A Devil's Moon

This label was started in 2004 by Shift and Slug (aka Chris Hoy and Liam Gibbs) or together as Pitch Hikers if you please. They have released some of the best South African psytrance. Period. High energy, groovy, melodic deliciousness that never fails to please. Mantis is Chris Hoy who is bringing some night psy without the cliche's of Darkpsy according to the Nexus Media homepage. Hey Chris, I am on board, but would it kill you to update the motherf%#*ing website?

Dark Planet is just what you would expect from Chris, with an ominous melody at the break above a post apocalyptic sample. The sample is kind of cheesy, but the track is powerful enough to carry it along. The crescendo at the end is typical madness. And it is groovy.

A Devil's Moon is a track I like better. I get the old Shift feel here. Tension building, driving beat... The leads drip of acid work and that detuned quality that marks a Nexus Media effort. It keeps bouncing along and then... it gets totally violated with a terrible sample. Stop it. Just stop it. Let the music tell the story. I don't need your narrative. You're better than this. Nonetheless the sample is brief and otherwise the track is damn near perfect.

This would've been a perfect EP if not for the samples. Corny and momentum killers. The music behind it continues to be strong however. It's cheap enough to get, but if you had to choose one, get the 2nd track.

Beatport

Juno Downloads

Mdk