3. Quick Sand

4. Thorn Elemental

5. Lazers and Vaginas

6. Breaks of Note

7. Ulterior Motives

8. Hold Still You Freak

9. Hank is Coining it

10. Phatkatwet

"Believe me...I've been waiting a long time for someone like you to record this moment..."

With one of the coolest names in the game Rubix Qube is Kieron Grieve from South Africa. He has released a few tracks on some compilations and they have all been stellar. He is signed to Disasterpeace Records and this album is available as a digital download only. Well, as far as I know, as I checked all the usual shops and it isn't in any of them. This guy creates the type of psytrance I love. Hard, edgy with a dark feel. This is the same route that Xatrik is following and oh look he is also signed to Disasterpeace....watch out Timecode and Nexus Media!

After the dark intro, he jumps headlong into the laser crazy Smoking Mirror. Heavy beats and a seriously grumbly bass line greet you and it ain't long before the assault begins. The leads are distorted and strangled as the lasers fly!

"Did you feel that?"

Quick Sand has an even darker feel to it, sometimes crossing the line into a melodic darkpsy. Awesome. An absolute mover.

Thorn Elemental is a crazy journey with all kinds of sounds that he puts together in an intelligent way. There is still plenty of lasers and deep rumbling bass as well. He creates a melancholy high tech feel that is quite enjoyable.

Lazers and Vaginas is a short big beat track and it is just that BIG. It doesn't lose any of its atmosphere and makes you nod your head amidst the video game craziness. I love it when artists put different styles in the same album. It shows how talented they can be.

"I yearn to find a way to help share the message that drugs open your eyes to life. To see it in the vivid colors that God gave us as a precious gift to his children."

Breaks of Note brings the electric guitar riff to the forefront. It is well done, but the bass is the star here as it sure is funky. Shortly the track becomes more recognizable as psytrance. Very groovy.

"I don't control minds...I free them."

Most awesome sample ever. Ulterior Motives has choir like heavenly voices, a machine gun and twisted leads. Man it sounds like he is stepping on the throat of that lead. The joining of a scary atmosphere and big beats is superbly done.

With the greatest track name in the history of music, Hold Still You Freak has the squelchy leads, nice breaks and ominous twinklings that go great together. I felt it could've been even better with a thickening and more insanity. I guess we will have to save that for the remix.

Hank is Coining it Lasers. Lots of 'em. Acid. Plenty of it. Great effects during the break keep it fresh. The symphonic bit is clever and further reinforces the horror movie setting. One of my favorites.

The last track is a techno house one that really didn't impress. It is of mid tempo with a deep booming kick and a lot of noisy sounds. It's not terrible, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the album. It does get pretty groovy after 4 minutes though.

This album is a must have for anyone who would be interested in the South African sound. The beats are heavy and the atmosphere is rich. Kieron does a great job of combining the feeling of being in a horror movie while making you want to dance. The production sounds great with earthquake bass and laser wars. To show that he isn't a one trick pony, he throws the big beat track in there. Similar acts are Xatrik, Hiiyarant, and Frozen Ghost. All are part of this label. This guy has a big future if he continues down this path. Highly recommended!

Juno Download

Mdk