D.N.I. - Dancefloor Medication

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: D.N.I.

Title: Dancefloor Medication

Label: Ultravision Records

Date: August, 2010

1. Ultraforce (vs Brain Hunters, Nature Disaster)

2. Kill Zone (vs Brainwash)

3. Corruption

4. War of leads (vs Nature Disaster)

5. Sequence

6. Space Trip rmx

7. Interceptor

8. The Gravity

9. Dancefloor Medication V2 (feat Zinx)

I don't normally like to post negative reviews because no matter what I say, the artist has devoted a lot of time and effort into making music. They could crap on a disc and sell it to me and it would still be better than what I have produced. It just seemed better to rely on the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say..." I came to the realization however that this is for reviews of all types. Nowhere on this forum does it say only post positive things. If I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on a luxury item like a CD, I want to enjoy it to the fullest. Just like everyone here.

Ultravision is headed by this Brazilian artist, Adolfo Usier Leite and this is what intrigued me to give it a go. The Brazilian style is up tempo, aggressive, and dripping in night time acidity. I enjoyed the Ultravision compilations so this seemed like a good bet. Unfortunately what is in the disc is psytrance that I don't enjoy. By that I mean loads of stops and starts, corny samples that make it unlistenable, and then the worst killer of all. Buildups. So many freakin' buildups that it is beyond annoying. I can tolerate one or two, but anymore than that and I just shut off.

What disappointed me most is that yes the acidity is there and it can be groovy in spots. In fact there is some very groovy sequences in every track. It's easy to hear his talent in building a very rhythmic feel and I believe there is loads of potential. The breakbeats in some of his tracks are very welcome. Sadly with all the starts and stops no momentum can be built. Everything that he has created comes to a screeching halt. Add in the incessant buildups and this comes off as a very weak South African Wannabe. I suppose the clue should've been the promo text on Psyshop at the end when it mentions all the acts he has performed with. The majority of which have done this sound better than he has. I won't give up on this label as I think they can raise the bar, but I hope if D.N.I. comes out with a 2nd album, it will be an evolution in track structure that doesn't include all that glow-stick commercial crap. :(

Psyshop

GoaStore

Beatspace

Mdk