Artist: Southwild

Title: Granular EP

Label: Ektoplasm

Date: July, 2010

01. Constructive Destruction

02. Fonkey Monkey

03. Darthavaddah

04. Sloppy Floppy

Hmmm...that reindeer looks familiar. Written, produced and mastered at Trailer Park Studios...Artist name is Southwild...Aha! Southpark! This is a side project of one of the members of the Rastaliens which shows off his twilight side. I thought the Rastaliens were already twilight psytrance? This is a free look presented on the Ekto site. Which you should definitely check out if you haven't seen it.

Twisted alien sounds scramble over a thumping bass line in "Constructive Destruction." Not a lot of melody, but a good way to show us what is under the hood.

The cutesy track titles continue with "Fonkey Monkey." Right off the bat a goa melody is the intro, but it quickly gets lost in some meandering. It comes back and sounds pretty good with effects whizzing past your ears. Not great, but not bad.

Darthavaddah? Really? Well, it's the music that counts and this bass line is really good. Reminds me of Hoodwink's stuff. Good effects, bass, and rhythm without any melodies. Good track.

"Weird, huh?" - Nah, just groovy as hell. My favorite track here.

Personally I like the Rastaliens stuff better, but this isn't bad at all. It really does sound similar to Hoodwink's output. The sounds are very clear so production seems to be top-notch. The tracks themselves are all high energy and he really does a great job with the bass lines. Definitely worth a check, and remember it is free.

Ektoplasm

Mdk