Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Protonica

Title: Refresh EP

Label: Iono Music

Date: September, 2010

1. Northern Storm

2. Refresh

I think I like reviewing EP's. They're like a quick fix for a drug addict. It won't satisfy the appetite for long, but it is a lot easier to write a review that's for sure. Anyway for those that have read my reviews you know that I am an Iono Music fanboy. 9.8 times out of 10 they release some super quality progressive trance that is full of atmosphere, effects and melody. Just the way I like it. Protonica is Piet Kaempfer & Ralf Dietze from the fatherland of Germany and have released a number of very good tracks as well as an album that I hope to review at some point.

First track is a freakin beast that clocks in at almost 12 minutes! The beat is driving and there is that deep reverb that creates open space. The beat drops out at around 3 minutes and another takes its place, almost like a different track. Sounds reverberate thru space and small melodies make their presence felt. At almost 7 minutes the 2nd break comes and it is more vast than the first one. The beginning melody returns and is eventually joined by another. This ends up being a deeply meditative piece that you really have to put your time in to enjoy fully. A 12 minute track is a lot to ask of even my goa trance sensibilities. If I am going to invest my time in this lengthy effort there has to be more of a reward. Good, but underwhelming.

The title track has a galloping gait with reverb heavy sounds creating the framework. The melody snakes its way forward with subtlety. The break comes and adds to the cavernous feeling this track brings. Wide open with millions of possibilities. This track is just smooth as new melodies creep to the forefront and seem like they just belong. I found this track to be richer and more engaging than the previous one. Great job.

Count me still on the Iono Music train. Their artists consistently build tracks with great attention to detail and atmosphere. They place you right into the tune, making it seem like it surrounds you. I love that. Such wide open space that is a dreamer's paradise. It seems like $2.50 is a lot for a track (and if you have to choose one, choose the 2nd one) but this is worth the price.

Beatport

• 2 years later...

Couldn't of described this EP any better, you took the words right out of my mouth. I like to think of there stuff as deep meditative as well. It gave me enough time to really get in to a sort of 'trance'. The original Northern Storm is great, but I would like to remind people Lish made a great remix of this track as well. Released on Carrots & Stick I believe.

These 2 tracks are some of there best work. Especially Refresh. Not to fast or to chaotic, but calm and refreshing progressive instead. They thought of absolutely everything. These guys really know there stuff. :)