6. Chakral Voyage

COSMIC SILENCE

7. Entity

THE GREY GUY

8. Aural Extacy

LIQUID FLOW

9. De Tevroegkomer

LAPSUS

Kagdila Records is a psytrance and ambient label from the good old U.S. of A! Not very many of those around, at least to my knowledge. This label has had a prolific output, now on the fourth installment of their popular Pure Planet goa trance compilations. This one is compiled by DJ Chakras (whoever that is) and has quite the impressive tracklist. Pure new school goa all the way. If you look at the rating on Discogs it is insanely high. Is this the best goa trance compilation you have never heard of? Some of the names are up and comers while everyone who listens to this type of music is familiar with Liquid Flow and Goasia. The cover is of an encircled moon with various other shapes. This gives an outer space quality, like this music sometimes tends to emanate.

Ajna- "Mother Goa" Oliver Chazard is one of those up and comers I mentioned and starts his track off with a very serene and peaceful setting of jungle sounds nestled deep within a forested paradise. The term Gaia is explained by a woman's voice and it isn't long until the melody creeps to the forefront. The synths twist and turn and provide a sensation of being caressed in a warm, light cocoon. The lady's voice returns briefly, providing a nice break, and it's back to the races! A 303 rips across the ears as he twiddles with the cutoff knob. Not a lot of variation here, but for me, it sits very well and doesn't come off as boring. Sure it is repetitive, but when the melody is this emotional, I don't mind that it goes on and on. Besides at almost eleven minutes, you have to expect some repetition. Great way to open a compilation.

Goasia- Terra Incognita I think it is safe to say we are all eagerly awaiting the release of this pair's 2nd album. I think it comes out in May, unless it gets the Astral treatment. Let's hope not. This track is a more simplistic type of goa. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that it is more trancey than your usual Middle Eastern or Arabic type of feel. Think of it as Goa-lite. I don't think the bassline takes a break during the whole track. The melodies are uninspired and this seems like something he had lying around and threw it out there. It's not a bad track, but it is not the type of goa that I really appreciate. I would call this more along the lines of drifting dream trance.

Cosmic Silence- Cosmogenesis 2012 Ahh yes, the Mayan calender end date. Will it happen or will it be like the year 2000 that threw the world into an unnecessary panic? Who knows, but maybe Michael Nadj knows. He had a track on the very well received "Twist Dreams" compilation from Suntrip which I loved. This one has the requisite end of the world question samples you would expect but not overdone. The melody snakes around the bassline, and is somewhat catchy, but fails to evolve into something deep. Not bad, but not as intricate as a lot of other new school efforts. The end climax is smooth and I think it saves the track from being an also ran.

Goasia- Man Who Touch the Sky This track is much better than his first one on this compilation. There is a feeling of mysticism, which reminds me of a Native American people facing a great danger. Melodies build upon each other in a tight foundation of sound. The small break is dreamy, as if waiting to see who the savior will be. And what he will do. Very rich this one. Great track.

The Grey Guy- Luna 3 This is Patrick Cameron who has had a little bit of buzz on these forums. His first track on this disc is phenomenal. Very spacey with the satellite samples. The melodies rise from the Earth, joining others and swirling deep into the upper atmospheres. Sounds bombard the ears in a clever use of panning, some heavy some delicate as a spider's web. Superb!

Cosmic Silence- Chakral Voyage This is his 2nd track on the compilation and it seems more dynamic. More of a psytrance goa hybrid, it has more power and seems to contain a fuller sound. The break at 3.5 minutes sets the stage for an unleashing of pure goa melodies. Lots of motion with this one. The climax is great and I like this one much better than his first track on this compilation

The Grey Guy- Entity Geez Kagdila, don't you know more than 3 artists who make goa? That aside, we are deep into the meat of this compilation. A watchfulness characterizes the melodies on this one. Watch your back Jack. This reeks of a nighttime, darker goa feel with lots of layers that flow into each other. I like that the sounds balance each other out. I mean you can hear the melody line and then high above in tone are twinkling effects and all this cruises over the low bassline. Very clear and relentless. Great job!

Liquid Flow- Aural Extacy Their album Presence was superb and they follow along in the same vein here. Full power all the way, with racing melodies and dreamy atmospherics. Darker in scope the phrase "No rest for the weary" comes to mind. My favorite track on the compilation.

Lapsus- De Tevroegkomer I have no idea who this is, but I have heard some of his unreleased material on Electrobel, and it was pretty damn good. We close out the compilation with his first professional release. A whirlwind of melodies hits like a tornado, with scales rising and falling with a little bit of a Nitzo feel. It is not possible to sit still through this one. There is no break, just a blitzkrieg of sound to let you know what hit you. Nice.

Well another goa trance compilation in the can and it was a good one. Rich in melody and power the artists did not disappoint. Most of the tracks are great, with a couple of decent ones. Dj Chakras did a fine job and all the tracks sounded great. I know some people think this "second wave of Goa" is inferior and too polished, but not me. I am thoroughly enjoying the vast majority of it with the updated sounds and improved technology allowing the artists to do so much more. The masters cannot be touched, but that doesn't mean I can't love what the guys today are producing. Great compilation and worth being in your collection.

Beatspace

Saikosounds

Mdk