Recording samples

Hi, I'd like to be able to record samples - from wherever, if it be the forest or an instrument. I'm on a budget but I'm thinking of buying a dictaphone + a microphone.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-VN-5200-5200PC-Digital-Dictaphone-USB-512MB-WMA_W0QQitemZ390114212603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_DictaphonesDictationMachines?hash=item5ad49e7afb

For example.

Would that be a good idea? :)

Cheers

Hi, I'd like to be able to record samples - from wherever, if it be the forest or an instrument. I'm on a budget but I'm thinking of buying a dictaphone + a microphone.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-VN-5200-5200PC-Digital-Dictaphone-USB-512MB-WMA_W0QQitemZ390114212603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_DictaphonesDictationMachines?hash=item5ad49e7afb

For example.

Would that be a good idea? :)

Cheers

Hi,

A dictaphone will work but there are also dedicated field recorders (m-audio, Tascam etc) out there that will offer much greater sound quality. It depends on your budget and what you want to use the sounds for.

In this case - the more you pay, the better the product.

I use a Samson Zoom H2 field recorder. I chose it, over the H4, after a ton of research, and have owned it for about 2 years. It's great, and I take it everywhere I go, and I've recorded lots of wonderful, high-quality samples, many of which have been incorporated into my music. Highly recommended. Very easy to use, has an HD slot, and transfers to the computer easily with USB. You can even do surround sound samples because it has four mics.

Sure, it's not pro quality, but for the money it's great, and all I need. Sort of like a consumer snapshot camera that takes better pictures than more expensive and elaborate cameras.