"V/A - Not For Human Consumption"

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

V/A - Not For Human Consumption

Chunk Junky Records

November 2009

1. Dangerous Zone KONNEKTOR

2. Go Go Gadget COLD TURKEY (FROZEN GHOST VS IRONSTEIN)

3. Clip Clock BIORYTHM VS XATRIK

4. Loaded XATRIK

5. Scratch Patch BIORYTHM

6. Rizla TECHNODROME

7. Bug System BUSTERS (WIZAX VS VANDETTA)

8. Short of time TIME TWISTERS

9. Antigravity MADMIND

10. Hoodwinked CARTOONS

Hot damn some twilight psy! I don't think it is any secret that Goa Trance and Night-Time psy are my favorite, so when I saw the track list on this compilation, I knew I must have it. This is the maiden voyage for Chunk Junky Records and I wish them well. Let's start with the cover. I think it is pretty cool, but it will probably get roasted for being so cliche. The colors appeal to me as well as the helmet the woman wears. As to drive the point home that this is not for human consumption, she is standing in front of a planet. I am mainly interested in the Xatrik tracks but there are several newbies that could make this interesting.

Konnektor is one of those new bloods and his track (I guess it's a he) "Dangerous Zone" hits like a ton of bricks. This is full throttle all the way with a ominous melodic overtone. The washes become a little too much but not bad for his first time.

Why is it that artists think they have to remake themes from children's shows or cartoons? I love Frozen Ghost but this was unnecessary. That said, it was intense and fairly enjoyable. He put his stamp on it.

Xatrik teams up with Biorhythm (Who?) to create an absolute nighttime blister called "Clip Clock." That bassline is out of control and the acid washes over you like a hot shower. Super crazy lasers.

Another track by Xatrik doesn't disappoint. "Loaded" is that in spades. The bassline is exceptionally deep and you can feel the track gurgling to the surface. The break is post apocalyptic as it evolves into hi tech insanity.

"Scratch Patch" has the aggressive bassline, the lasers and thumping kick. While not the best track on the compilation this guy's starting to cook up some goodness. I will be watching him in the future.

Technodrome delivers "Rizla" with a highly addictive lead that jumps all over the place. Hey, weren't these guys arrested in India? The only thing that holds this back from being a really great track is the buildup. Luckily it is short lived and the craziness can continue.

"Bug System" continues in the same vein with some very good rhythm and synth work. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same thing that a few of the other tracks do and that is the momentum killing buildups. It's a good track, but it could've been a better.

I couldn't get into "Short of Time" with its multitude of stops and starts. Parts of it were good, but it seemed rather thrown together.

"Antigravity" by Madmind starts of with some nice ominous strings before the bassline rumbles in. Unfortunately is becomes this staccato breakbeat mess and I am put off. It had potential.

Cartoons (I like cartoons) brings a track called "Hoodwinked" that would fit in on the POF Chaos Opera album. It gallops along and add those minor key touches which create an effective atmosphere.

First off, let me say this. I respect and admire any artist that puts out music for the masses to enjoy. It is a lot of hard work that should be commended. Not every track is going to appeal to everyone. Music is art and art will either be praised or criticized. I'm just some guy behind a computer screen saying what he thinks. For me, this was a pretty good compilation of twilight psy. The Xatrik tracks stand out on this disc, but some of the others showed a lot of promise. As I mentioned before, the sounds, the kicks, the rhythms were all very appealing. The reason this compilation won't achieve great status is because of the interruption of flow. Just when you are riding high, the track stops and has to succumb to an unnecessary buildup killing all momentum. I'm not about to lecture an artist that knows what he is doing on song structure, I'm just giving my opinion. Still, I would have to recommend this compilation for the Xatrik tracks alone.

Psyshoppage

Mdk