Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Phony Orphants - Computer Music

Iboga Records

November, 2009

1. PHONY ORPHANTS - Recollections

2. PHONY ORPHANTS - Dr. Sachs

3. PHONY ORPHANTS - Razzle Dazzle

4. LIQUID SOUL - Push (Phony Orphants rmx)

5. PHONY ORPHANTS - Fate is a long line of coincidences

6. PHONY ORPHANTS - Party Girl

7. PHONY ORPHANTS - Sweep Mama

8. PHONY ORPHANTS - Computer Music

9. PHONY ORPHANTS - Ton of apples

10. PHONY ORPHANTS - Playground

Well, the snow is falling thickly here so I thought I would curl up with this newly arrived disc. Phony Orphants is a progressive trance or progressive house outfit that have been with Iboga since the beginning. This is their 3rd full length release with 9 new tracks (plus a remix of a Liquid Soul track) but if you get the compact stick from Psyshop you get 4 additional tracks including a collaboration with Sun Control Species. The cover (looks like paper trees with a lightning blot emanating from a dark ominous cloud) is nothing spectacular, but it seems to fit the mood of the music.

One of the first things I noticed was the full kick. It sounds really massive with the rumbling bass reeking of superb production. The groove is of high quality that will lull you into a blissful state. Some of the music begins to border the minimal zone, but never crosses the line. Sure there are some house influences, but they are blended quite well with the smooth progressive style. If I had one complaint, it would be that the music seems rather simplistic without deep emotive layers like you would find in the Ritmo remix album. While this album still has plenty of dirty groove and rhythm giving the music a strong backbone, the absence of new layers can make the listening experience seem thin. By that I mean waiting for a surprise sound or arpeggio that doesn't seem to come. That being said, I stiff find myself nodding my head to the beat. A pretty good release if you want some straight forward bouncing, but not essential IMHO.

Psyshoppage

Beatspace

Mdk