V/A - Carnage Valley

Ormion

Carnage Valley

Posted Image

1. Chaos Oscillator - Psycho Inferno (5:50)

2. Paraforce - The Giants Rule The Land (8:07)

3. Demoniac Insomniac - 2012 (7:38)

4. Jellyheadz - Poison Me (6:21)

5. Insect Seeker vs. Cannibal Barbecue - Homem Bomba (7:12)

6. Wizack Twizack - De Nada (7:32)

7. Silent Enemy - The Big Forest (7:00)

8. Psy4tecks vs. Khaos Sektor - Ordinary Vanity (6:54)

9. Necropsycho - Paradise Of Pain (8:20)

10. Gloomy Phantom - Natas (6:14)

Samples: HERE

Aaargh!

Did I scare you? No?

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to start this review like that.

You see it's time to enter the....Carnage Valley! :ph34r:

1. At first we get a very nice opening by Chaos Oscillator. The track is breakbeat-ish and melodic. That's a surprise actually for a darkpsy compilation. It's dark, but never tries to sound evil without a reason and also seems to have a funky dose in it. Cool.

2. Let's jump to the full dance stuff here with Paraforce. Okay, the bass is really annoying here. Way too loud and high-pinched. Not my style. The track has all this weird noises overdose you would expect from a darkpsy track, but it's never transformed into a true mayhem. Just bleeps and blops over an annoying bass. The track seems to become better at the end, but still not something I would fully enjoy.

3. Next we get more full energy darkpsy with Demoniac Insomniac. Darker and more atmospheric than the previous track, it doesn't do anything different than the n-th darkpsy track you could listen without that means it's bad. The last part is trippy enough. Good effort.

4. Jellyheadz' Poison Me is a winner. I never really liked that group, but the track is crazy and strangely spooky. The bass is as monotonous as a bass can be, but it works. Some weird melodic breaks make the track even better before the laser fx madness slaps you in the face again. Very good.

5. Now let's leave the forest for a while and go to the dancefloor next to it. Brazilian act Insect Seeker (aka Killer Buds) collaborates with Cannibal Barbeque (hell yeah) and the result is a killer track. More 'dance till you drop dead' than forest spookiness, the track is fast, agressive and energetic. Especially at the end where all hell breaks loose. Great!

6. Another bootyshaking track by the Wizack dude. This is hands down the best track I've heard so far from this artist. Plus he's a chameleon. I've heard morning tunes by him, now I listen darkpsy. The track has a moving bassline, strange effects, plus some melodic lines. It has a 'gentle horror' feeling, but it could work great in a dancefloor too. Strong forest feeling too. Me like a lot.

7. Next is Silent Enemy who btw I though he had something to do with Silent Horror. Not only for the Silent in his name, but cause their styles are similar. He hasn't though. The track is rough, heavy, in your face and has the typical 'I wanna sound dark and evil' attitude. But it works. Just like in Silent Horror the bassline here steals the focus which is not a good thing, cause otherwise the track would be pure forest paranoia. Not great, but works good in darker places.

8. In this track we have some lullaby melody for an intro. Surprisingly the melodies keep coming. The first half is melodic and gives the feeling of an elegy to the track. Very cool despite the harsh kick. Unfortunately in the second half the melodies vanished and the fx madness is not enough to keep you busy. Cool track though.

9. Next is Necropsycho, an artist that never impressed me. The coolest part of this track is the intro. I always thought how cool a radio tunning would be for an intro and this track fulfilled my dream. Unfortunately the rest of the track is as typical as a heavy darkpsy can be. Hard kick, hard bass, but the worst totally boring noise effects. It's not awful, but I'll skip.

10. Last track is Natas! Yes, it's Satan backwards! Brrr... Ok the name is cheesy, how about the track? Well the kick is horribly loud! What else? The track is dark. I'll give him that. Creepy pads all over the place and reverb schizoeffects. It always works. Overall it's better than what I expected. It's a DARKpsy track. But not something great either.

Overall this compilation is not any different from all those free compilations you can download at Ektoplazm. But it's always nice to have a release like this with proper mastering in a cd format.

PS. I tried this compilation in a forest at my vacations and it's sound much better next to an old tree at 3 am.

Fav: 1, 3, 5, 6