Cosmosis - Fumbling For The Funky Frequency

Guest antic

Guest neurogen

I simply adore Cosmosis. But it went downhill RAPIDLY after Intergalactic. And pretty much including that one aswell.

So I have only hastly listened to his work after that.

How is this CD compared to Synergy?

How is this CD compared to Synergy?

An acceptable coaster for your drink while you listen to Synergy.

Unless you really want to hear 75 minutes of overused-to-death pop-full-on reverse-drum fills and little else.

Guest neurogen

An acceptable coaster for your drink while you listen to Synergy.

Unless you really want to hear 75 minutes of overused-to-death pop-full-on reverse-drum fills and little else.

Posted Image

• 11 months later...

Well, I might agree that this is a far cry from Cosmology / Synergy era, but I also learned to appreciate the music for what it is, to listen to it in the context of current times and other releases and not to compare it to the past, which is usually very idealised and clouded by personal judgement and experiences. When Synergy came out I was only discovering this music and each new release was like a small discovery for me, opening new (musical) worlds and possibilities I could never dream of possible. Now, ten years after I know all the tricks, I know a lot more about music, production, mastering etc.; I start to get annoyed with details that were not relevant in the past or if the track develops differently than I'd imagine it to...

But, does my 'skewed' perception make the music objectively any less good? I don't think so! For people who just discovered the genre or never heard of Cosmosis, this album might be an awesome find, maybe even will become a reference point for other CDs? Their equivalent of Synergy, Dragon Tales or whatever you might have? I honestly think that compared to other current releases it is that good.

And how can you seriously compare a brand new album with something, that was released 10 years ago, that you know by heart and which sounds & melodies are engraved deeply in your brain, associated with memories of old-school parties, excitement of discovering new music or having fun with friends? Like this, the new album will never have the chance to reach, let alone surpass the old one - and that's simply not fair IMO. I can see lots more "charm and soul" as well as "magical twists and sense of harmonic/uplifting melodies" here than in majority of full-on and most of new-school releases and this is what I tried to convey in my review, for the benefit of people interesting in music, not how it performs against some benchmark from 10 years ago.

smile.gif

Damn! Some people should print, laminate and hang this post on their bedrooms. The part about different times, nostalgia and being more experienced/demanding - SO TRUE, in the general sense, not just Cosmosis. Old shouldn't be mixed with new in the comparisons and greatness department.

Great review BTW, I also like this one, you can count on Cosmosis :).